1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Their names are "Herschel" and "Walker"

wicked likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are secret kids the new status symbol among celebrities - like dogs you could fit inside a purse used to be?

dixiehack, Webster, lakefront and 2 others like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Boris Johnson just added three kids to his count.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Elon is going to end up running a cult before this is all said and done. And not just the fanboi cult on Twitter he has. With robes and sneakers and shit.

dixiehack and matt_garth like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is for real, though. He's on the hook to buy the company for $54.20 a share. ... even the most optimistic analysts at this point put the value of the company at $20 to $25 a share in the current environment. I could make a good argument for fair value being $15 a share max based on the business as it exists.

As equity valuations have crashed over the last few months, people are being much more value conscious. I can't imagine he is going to be able to find anyone willing to pay for equity at more than twice what it is worth. Which is why even some of the options people were talking about a month ago, may not be returning his phone calls anymore. I'd guess he can still find financing, but anyone willing to finance it for him is going to want dollar-for-dollar collateral.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's going to wind up eating that billion dollar penalty for getting his ego boosted.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If Twitter plays it right, he could wind up paying more, as I understand it. The billion-dollar termination fee requires more than just cold feet, and he waived the right to perform due diligence. Ragu can check my understanding on that though.

When Musk thought he could buy Twitter and flip it down the road… even in the current market I thought it possible since he’s illogically succeeded so many times. Now that he’s trying to weasel out of it I’m just hoping he doesn’t pull everything down with him (and if not, I’ll enjoy the show).

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are right about him potentially owing way more than the $1 billion break up fee.

The more people settle on a real value of Twitter being closer to $15 billion than the $44 billion he offered, the more likely that the company will take his ass to court in Delaware for breach of contract. The break up fee is not a "walk away" fee. He made a binding offer.

They will not get an offer for the company anywhere near the $44 billion he offered, so the lower they think the valuation really is the more incentive they have to tie themselves up in court -- the time / cost of the litigation makes more sense when an excess $20 to $30 billion is on the line for the current equity holders.

I don't think he thought he could "flip" the company, but who knows? Even before the bubble started to burst right after he made his offer, the price he offered was insane. Who would he have thought he was going to sell to for a higher price?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I may be misremembering, but early in this saga Musk mentioned IPOing Twitter again in a matter of years. That’s where the flip idea crept into my brain.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

LOLOLOLOL

wicked and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted