1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you had the Orioles threatening .500 in July on your bingo card this season, congrats. Still four games away from it, but it appears the rebuild is actually going along swimmingly. Nice as a fan after years and years in the wilderness.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Three guys in their rotation -- Jordan Lyles, Tyler Wells and Dean Kremer -- are cranking out some quality starts. That's made a huge difference. And they have six relievers with ERAs at 2.52 or below, although closer Jorge Lopez had an ugly few days last weekend.

I was toying around baseball-reference.com looking these up, and I really had NO idea what kind of season Tony Gonsolin is having for the Dodgers. It is stunning. 11-0, 1.62 ERA, 0.801 WHIP ... and 48 hits allowed in 88.2 innings.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And Adley went deep again last night. He'll be one of the cornerstones (can there be more than one?) for the next decade if they handle things correctly.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sure as hell looks like a concussion. Possibly a neck injury for Profar, too.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As a kid I used to LOVE voting for the All-Star Game, picking all of my favorite A's players regardless. Do they still do the paper ballots with the little holes you punch out or is it all on-line so MLB can manipulate and throw out the votes from small-market teams?

Honestly - I'm not familiar with most of these players. Trout, Altuve, Betts, Ohani, Judge, after that it gets fuzzy.

All-Star starters are set. Who made the cut?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure it’s all online now, although someone can feel free to correct me.

I used to love going to big league games where ushers would hand you a punch card ballot when you walked into the stadium. It was fun to punch the holes of your favorites.

One thing kids won’t understand today.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Granted, there are a lot of teams between them and it, but the Orioles are only five games out of a wild card spot. A good winning streak, maybe a sweep against the Rays or Red Sox, could really put them in the hunt.

Cosmo likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just checked in on the Reds for the first time in a while and, man, are they having a weird season.
    Started 3-21.
    Went 17-14 over their next 31 games to show a flicker of respectability.
    Are 9-19 since then.
    The Reds only have one 100-loss season in their 140-year history. Be interesting to see if this is No. 2.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Kirk can't qualify as a catcher in my fantasy league, because HE SELDOM CATCHES. Usually plays DH.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My dad would give me his ballot, and I felt like I was getting away with something by double-voting. Not that Dale Murphy needed my extra vote.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He caught 44 games last year and even more this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted