1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't be surprised if Thomas wasn't the only conservative who leaves the court next time the GOP wins the WH and Senate. The did their thing, shot their wad if you will. Tough act to follow - though I'm sure they'll try - but I also think the sudden "fame" will have a downside - and a retirement would allow them to collect huge salaries from a grateful part of the electorate and not have to sweat going out in public as much.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has anyone delved deep enough into the decision to determine if the Court found that since they ruled that since "no right to privacy" exists, states are not obligated to allow abortion - or if they ruled that states have the right to ban women from having abortions. In some ways the case opens a big can of worms by going from regulating what can and can't be done in a particular state to what a person in that state can or can't do (in that state or perhaps going to another state). Kind of like the difference between not being able to to buy a beer on Sunday in one state, but banning people from going to buy a beer the next state over.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The anti-aborts will argue that abortion is a “DIFFERENT!” situation than the other situations, based solely on their feelings.

Of course, the pro-choice side could also try that argument to say that abortion is not murder.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think this grew from a comment the former governor of Virginia made, where he talked about the difficult decisions some parents face, when babies are born with conditions that are fatal within moments or hours or days of birth. And he was talking about how difficult it is to make the decision to either abort the fetus late in the pregnancy, or allow the child to be born and then to die suffering. I think Trump was the first one who twisted that into saying that people were aborting babies at birth. And then it just crew with little opposition. One of many mistakes that have been made in the last six or seven years.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s even worse. They basically said rights guaranteed under the 14th Amendment only apply to those deeply rooted in history. They allowed laws specifically targeting protected classes can stand as a result. They said the reasoning in Roe was deeply flawed and haphazard and was shaky on Constitutional grounds. They couldn’t find abortions in US historical or common law contexts. Do abortions aren’t covered because there isn’t a deeply rooted constitutional basis for one.

Basically if the court can’t find a deeply rooted basis for the liberty, it doesn’t exist.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I have yet to seen reference to the deeply rooted basis of liberty for the fetus

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.
    Even if it takes 30 seconds for the legend to become fact and could easily be disproved in a day or two.

Bu77ers likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and Mngwa like this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted