1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Pratt and The Rock are pretty disappointing "movie stars." Both desperately feel like they want to be an AHNOLD or Stallone-like movie star, but neither one of them takes on challenging material.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We don't write much about silly shows, like reality and competition, but Holey Moley is really entertaining. It's a mash of mini golf and an obstacle course. Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle are great as the hosts. I'm not a Riggle fan, but he's really funny on this show. The fourth season finale is Tuesday.

On the other hand, I have given up on America's Got Talent. After so many seasons, it's the same acts and the same sob stories. They have always shown too many reaction shots from the judges and host and this year have added a ton of audience reactions and comments as well. It's like watching a show where people watch acts, not watching the acts themselves.

3. sgreenwell

I kind of like Holey Moley - it's better than similar fare like American Ninja Warrior - but it still feels like a C+, B- of a show to me. Strictly a timewaster / innings eater. I still think MXC and Sasuke, the Japanese original that Warrior is based on, are much more entertaining watches, but they've mostly faded from the airwaves. (Still haven't checked out the Cena and Nicole Byer edition of Wipeout, which apparently got renewed for a second season, but is out of sight, out of mind for me because its on TBS.)

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Cannot stand Holey Moley, lol. We like American Ninja Warrior but we only watch it from the DVR so that we can go skip not just commercials but all the histrionics about these people's stories. It's fun watching them run the course.

Webster and sgreenwell like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its just wrong when I'd rather see more of Taylor Kitsch and less of Pratt. Did about 1.5 episodes and that's enough for me.

Trying to get through For All Mankind and looking forward to Black Bird.

Wish there was more Black Mirror.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

America's Got Talent - like American Idol - has never been about the talent. It's produced within an inch of its life. They had a couple of professional singers on from Oregon last year - perhaps not household names, but legit professional singers who I'm guessing they populate the show with so there is actual talent and they can craft a "storyline" around. When these shows become more about the judges than about the performers - which is usually always the case - I have no time for them.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

We binged The Bear over the holiday weekend and really enjoyed it. Both liked the lead actor from his Shameless stint.

He brings really emotional, manic, stressed and nervous energy to the character. Wonder what it would be like to pair that character with that of Kaley Cuoco's character from The Flight Attendant. I might have a nervous breakdown watching that.

jr/shotglass and Webster like this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Because I skip through all of the stories on ANW (and the Jeopardy interviews) my family calls me the No Back Story Ninja.

garrow, Mngwa and MTM like this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought Old Man would be good but boy was I wrong, it’s soooo sloooow. Ponderous.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would say The Rock has pretty decent range, considering his start as a heel in the WWE. He’s done Disney (Moana), adventure (Jumanji), thrillers (Fast and Furious), and the hero is trapped/ fighting bad guys (Skyscraper, Inferno, can’t quite remember the name). He’s also done Ballers and appearances on other TV series.
    I’m inclined to agree on Pratt, but he’s been able to make a nice little career.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm binging The Old Man and The Bear right now. Talk about two extremes in pacing.

That said, I like the Bridges-Brenneman dynamic.

12. sgreenwell

Eh, the only thing he's decent in from that list is ensemble work - Moana (animated), Jumanji, Fast. His solo movies are garbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted