1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You can definitely say Trout is Mantle, only healthier. The better part is open for debate. I would say their skill sets are almost identical.

It's impossible to project what a healthy Mantle could have been. But given the numbers he put up playing almost all of his career on a wrecked knee, other assorted serious leg injuries, a destructive lifestyle and in a pitcher-friendly ballpark, they may have been staggering.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What can I say? You're more than welcome to feel that way. I just don't get it.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'd get total love if his name was Stevie Trout.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A quick trip to baseball-reference tells me 1. Trout and Mantle are comparable, but 2. Mantle, at least as a hitter, somewhat better. Not by miles and miles, but home runs matter, and Mantle was more of a homer hitter. Of course, he was a switch hitter in a left-handed hitter's paradise. I don't think there are any retroactive fielding stats allowing for a fair comparison. I know Trout has been a super fielder.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What’s to get? Watch him play and look at his stats.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Uh, Mantle was a switch hitter, and the first to hit 300 HR. Don't even begin to compare Trout to heem, as Kevin Millar would say.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I would have leaned toward Gonsolin or Alcantara to start for the NL until I heard Kershaw has never started the game.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

They are not the most deserving, but if baseball wants to highlight the game, the starters should be Kershaw and Ohtani.

They move the needle more than Sandy Alcantara vs Shane McClanahan.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This debate in some form or other has been going on since I can remember. Fans prefer stars with proven track records in the All-Star Game. Those who think it should reward who's having the best half-seasons are a distinct minority. Since the game itself has been a dying institution for at least a decade, probably longer, anything that stirs a spark of interest is something MLB should favor.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This. I’ve heard at least four different pronunciations. Al can terra, All con tur uh, Al cun terra, Al con tra.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

M's and O's the two hottest teams in baseball. Their fan bases deserve it, for sure.

Carlos Santana has been a solid pickup for Seattle. A professional hitter and a great example/mentor for Julio Rodriguez on how to act like an MLB player.

Yankees-Boston right on schedule for another 4.5-hour snoozefest. T2, no outs, 35 minutes already.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted