1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This has been noted, but there is no way on earth I let Steve Bannon testify live and in public. He's too smart and well-spoken. He could turn the thing on a dime and give the Trumpists ammo. I wouldn't put it past him to tell the committee he plans to testify to one thing then say something completely different.

wicked likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Then let him lie.

These hearings are a show. The only argument I have heard for why we should be having them is that they can create a historical record of what happened.

If that is the case, it shouldn't be about choosing people to testify based on whether they are going to say what you want or not.

If they have evidence that Steve Bannon was involved in a conspiracy leading up to, and on January 6, and he's willing to testify. ... great. Get it on the record and let everyone see it publicly. He'll either be lying or telling the truth, and if he's lying, let the facts make the case for that. I don't want a manicured attempt at history by cherry picking testimony and omiting or including things based on a narrative. It's as dishonest as what you are saying about what you think Bannon will attempt to do. The truth is the truth. Just stick to it, and stop trying to write history or massage public opinion. That's the problem, not the solution.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nobody is going to primary Biden. It would be him stepping aside due to age and being ready to pass the torch. If that is going to happen (and I don't know if it is or isn't), they will wait as long into his term as they think is possible without hurting the chances of the next nominee, because the minute he says he isn't running he's a lame duck with even less chance of accomplishing anything than he even currently has. There would be a balancing act between hamstringing his presidency and giving the next nominee a chance.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

AOC will be 35 a few weeks before the 2024 election. Would you put it past her? She's smart as hell and an excellent communicator and I hope she does great things going forward but I'm not sure she always has the best judgment...

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Alma-

Can you think of a subject that has inspired more bad writing than Trump? Baseball? Romance?

Mark Leibovich says he is so dreadfully weary of it all- then writes a book on it. Very on brand for 2022.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Fred siegle and dixiehack like this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They’re a weed. Have to pull them early.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If nothing else, you just know the Right Wing Shriek Machine would claim she isn’t eligible to run because she’s not 35 yet and ignore that she doesn’t have to be 35 until her term begins.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I read this article the other day. A guy I grew up with is one of those idiots. After college, he moved to NH as part of the "Free State Experiment," which is hilarious, because he's a career firefighter. So he's all about reducing the size of government, unless and until that reduction cuts into his paycheck, just like all of the RWNJs in public service.

Draft saved Draft deleted