1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What exactly is the perspective you're trying to give us?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That a certain number of home runs doesn't mark "elite power hitter" the way it used to.

Songbird, I think that succeeds in the attempt.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I am making no larger point here. It's just Barry Bonds talking hitting. Do with that what you will.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

I should have added that. I was making no larger point here.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I mean, you gotta throw 1981 out -- there were teams that played 103 games and the most was 111. You don't think there might be a handful of guys that would have gotten to 30 if they had 50 more games to play.

6. jr/shotglass

I forgot about 1981, Della. Thanks.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Selig cut his teeth in the early 60s as a member of the bunch of Chicago based freebooters ie minority investors who helped hijack the Braves out of Milwaukee for the new taxpayer paid stadium and virgin teevee market in Atlanta, then after the Braves bolted, he helped engineer the one year disaster of the pilots in Seattle, then he managed to fuck over that fan base and snatch the franchise for himself in Milwaukee. He used that base to boost himself into the commissionership.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finley got a lot of crud, but he built a championship team, and even when FA blew the thing apart, he kept prices affordable. Shoot, even the Haas family couldn't keep Rickey from the Yankees. These new owners - and Lacob did this as well - are more interested in leveraging a sports team for a sweetheart real estate deal than they are winning. Nice that Lacob was also interested in winning, but the Warriors DID get a sweetheart real estate deal in SF that will easily cover any luxury taxes the roster might accrue.

maumann likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not sure the arena "will easily cover any luxury taxes." Tim Kawakami in the Athletic has outlined how much the arena brings for long playoff runs, while substantial, its not all covering. Don't get me wrong, the appreciation in franchise value is enormous and should cover all costs in the long run, but in the short run, year to year, there is a limit. Now I don't care, keep paying but just saying there's likely a limit in the owners' minds.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

it's not just the arena - there are office buildings and I think a hotel that are part of it - privately financed for sure, but they did get the city to throw in some infrastructure costs.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted