1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I loved Bear, having worked in a restaurant for 5 yrs, it clicked with me.

garrow likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Smart move releasing The Bear as a binge — it’s better that way than week to week. I kind of think that the first season was a perfect way to end.

The Old Man was really bad the last 2 weeks. I’ve read that Jeff Bridges had health issues which caused a very long break in shooting, but the last couple of episodes bordered on the nonsensical.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The action drew us in, and the last two weeks have been dialogue heavy. The flashbacks could be tighter too.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don’t mind dialogue heavy, but the plot lines for the 2 main female characters have been rough.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep the last two episodes are almost the final nails in the coffin for me. And the flashbacks to the Afghan desert are painful.

Now, "The Girl (?) in the Picture" documentary on Neflix is enthralling. The stories are horrible but the policework was amazing. Great work by FBI agent and others.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I tried to watch the first episode of Shoresy, but our TV kept quitting part was through the intro and, after resetting a time or two, our streaming locked up.

After checking our WiFi internet speed and anything else I could think of, I ordered a new Firestick.

Now, it’s working much better than it has in months, so I guess those things can go bad. Ours was probably 5 years old. It was an easy $20 fix.

After two episodes, Shorsey is interesting: kind of a continuation of Letterkenny themes with additions.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Black Bird on Apple+.

Two in and I’m liking it.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don’t endorse many shows, but when I do, I endorse “Evil” on Paramount.

Very cool mix of stories on the nature of theology, spirituality, superstition, science, faith, among many other things.

All with a dash of cool sensationalist shit, like demons as media disinformation company managers, sex with demons, weird-ass angels, etc. Once it went to streaming-only, they were freer to amp up the language and adult content.

Very entertaining. Great mix of intelligence and pulp.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I enjoy anthologies, I'll give this a try although sex with demons is a bit much IMHO.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I can understand a loaded field, but the snubs that caught my eye among the stuff I've watched (which I admit is not incredibly deep) were Selena Gomez in "Only Murders in the Building" and the "Winning Time" series. I posted this on the "Winning Time" thread, but I figured it would at least get nominated in the Limited Series category, and I figured John C. Reilly (and maybe Sally Field) would be locks in the acting categories.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"Winning Time" got a lot of heat for the historical line blurring, which probably hurt it with enough voters. And yeah, I was surprised Gomez didn't got a nod, since she carries as much of that show as Martin and Short. I probably would have bumped Maisel for her, but lead actress is a pretty stacked category.

Draft saved Draft deleted