1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I get that with Winning Time, but it's a bummer because John C. Reilly was excellent -- no matter if it was fictionalized or by the book.

I think Selena Gomez was just squeezed out by the field. Martin & Martin were helped by both bringing their long pedigrees into "Murders," but I think Selena may still be trying to shake her Disney past in the voters' eyes. If I'm not mistaken, this is her first leading role (or at least the most significant one) since escaping her bubble gum era.

I'm a "Maisel" fan, so I think Rachel Brosnahan deserved her nom. I haven't watched any of the other shows the other actresses come from, but I know they're all pretty highly regarded series.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

While the season as a whole was overwrought and underwhelming, Zendaya should win based solely on that one episode of Euphoria when Rue had her breakdown.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Very happy for Seehorn.

Surprised Sarah Goldberg didn’t get a nomination for Barry.

Webster and garrow like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Very surprised 1883 didn't get much love. I do wonder if Taylor Sheridan has inherited the "Sons of Anarchy" curse- another show that was widely regarded, but received little Emmy acknowledgement (which Sheridan appeared in, and was written by Shield writer Kurt Sutter).

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Cuoco and "The Flight Attendant" as a comedy? I guess they were used to nominating her in the comedy category.

I do think she's been awfully good in that, anyway.

I was also glad to see Quinta Brunson getting some love for comedy actress; although that's going to be a loaded group -- Brosnahan, Cuoco, Jean Smart. And yes, Selena Gomez should have been nominated.

Love me some Lasso, but that's still a hell of a lot of nominees.

And finally ... my god, that's a lot of categories.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Question for the Trekkies of the board. I have no particular love (or hate) for any of the shows that haven't been on Paramount+. I did, however, very much enjoy the new movies. Would I enjoy the Paramount+ shows? Maybe not Picard, I understand.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Discovery is ok, better in some places, bad in others. The lead actor whispers all the time which is super annoying. Lower Decks is the smart ass of Trek. Prodigy is surprisingly watchable. The first season of Picard was exquisite, the second not so much. Definitely how surprised with how enjoyable Strange New Worlds is.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

9. Regan MacNeil

I might start with Strange New Worlds then.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Not a Trek fan, but a good friend of mine and his wife are huge into the franchise and they absolutely rave about Strange New Worlds.

Spartan Squad and Regan MacNeil like this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think those are both shows only older people watch. Which, that can usually carry a show or two to nominations - Kominsky Method - but the effect has been getting smaller and smaller each year. Hell, as The Ringer pointed out, Julia Roberts was slummin' it on a streaming service, and her show only got nommed for production stuff.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

100 percent. It is very good. Love the mystery/horror/X-Files vibe.

Draft saved Draft deleted