1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Diamonds never lie to me.....unlike men, the diamonds linger. Men are are mere mortals who are not worth going to your grave for."--Shirley Bassey

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Is this ironic? Texas is far-and-away the biggest electricity-from-wind state, and this current crunch is because it's unusually not-windy.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Special session of the Legislature should cure that.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Therefore alternate energy is unreliable and a foolish investment.

Climate change sucks.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The fluctuating price of oil and the lack of wind kind of point to the need to have redundancies when it comes to the power grid. While I still think solar is the long-term, "100 years from now" winner (if we're still around as a species), it's important to pursue power however you can get it. Hell, even Exxon and Shell realize this - while they're happy to gouge people on the price of oil, they're both heavily invested in alternative energies as well. Ultimately, if the Earth runs out of oil at some point, it's still probably going to be one of those companies that you're getting your energy from.

wicked likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Susan Collins moved to Texas?

2muchcoffeeman, Slacker and garrow like this.
  7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Technically grand juries indict.

But prosecutors seek indictment once they've put together a case that will withstand a vigorous defense, which takes time to develop (and keeping in mind that as effective as the hearings have been, they're not a trial, nobody has been cross-examined and nobody has yet had the opportunity to challenge any of what they're presenting in real time). Sorry that in real life this doesn't all work like an episode of Law & Order and the DOJ isn't working on a schedule to satisfy the political thirst for indictments. Especially one where the stakes are this high.

Will they indict? I have no idea. I hope they do. But as I've said before, I hope they don't do it without putting together one damn meticulous case. Right now I can see them indicting a lot of people that aren't Trump. And while Trump has behaved like a criminal, I don't know that they have anything sufficiently solid to charge him with personally. A lot of VERY circumstantial stuff because as stupid as he is in so many aspects of life, he's an expert at talking in ways that don't give you a solid smoking gun.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Totes what I was getting at.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fuck Texas gently with a chain saw. Could not care less what happens to the little pricks as long as no federal tax money goes to help them out. I hope for Exodus level plagues descending upon Texas.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Texas Governor should be putting in wind and solar hardcore. Put those with the state petroleum production and there is no reason there should ever be a brownout or power shortage there.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

You do realize that millions upon millions of people live in Texas who completely oppose the state's policies, right?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And no matter what Abbott and his gang do, they were going to get screwed anyway.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted