1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The great Eddie Plank, following through after the final pitch of the 1913 World Series, a 3-1 win over Christy Mathewson in Game 5. The A's used only three pitchers in the Series, a record later matched by the 1928 Yankees, in one fewer game, against the Cardinals.

maumann likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Maybe there is something to "just shut up and pitch/hit? No (in Rafa voiceover)?"

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Back then, they didn’t let cholera or typhoid fever stop them from playing.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He did die at 50 years of age, though. Born in 1875 in Gettysburg, only 12 years after the battle. Charter member of the American League, 326 wins, even though he was 25 as a rookie. Had a 1.32 World Series ERA, played one season in the Federal League, one of the greatest lefties ever. And he's practically forgotten.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

A major reason why by the time he got to the Tigers his three pitches were slow, slower and slowest
    But he beat the Jays in the last game of the 1987 season so it’s all good

maumann likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I just read his SABR story. Before he died, he was a businessman and was a tour guide on the battlefield. He never would reveal who he was to any of the tourists.

micropolitan guy and maumann like this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I dislike this post with all my heart.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So is Gottlieb in signficant legal jeopardy? Is the tweet more damning than anything he may have said on the air? Seems it could have been avoided if he just added a simple, "sources tell me...." Still waiting for the situation to be clarified. Was Freeman just upset at his agent for issuing the ultimatum that prompted the Braves to make the deal for Matt Olson?

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One of the great re-inventions in baseball history.

Draft saved Draft deleted