1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The same people criticizing him also criticize Trout for sticking around the hopeless situation in Anaheim. Can't have it both ways, unless you get off on criticizing everything.

JC and maumann like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I wonder what kind of haul it will take to trade for Soto. For a couple of years, how much will it take, especially not being sure you can sign him long term?

When/if he goes to free agency, will there be teams other than the Dodgers, Yankees and Mets in his market?

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Too late to name Matt Carpenter an all-Star?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You think he won’t get more?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Of course there will. Did the Red Sox and othered become small markets?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What will it take? If some team offers 2 of the alleged top 50 MLB prospects plus a current MLB player as a throw-in, would the Washington Baseball Team accept?
    #Natitude

7. tapintoamerica

If it compels him to shave the mustache, I’d be for it.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seems light to me. I think that, plus another proven big leaguer and 2-3 more mid-level prospects.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Didn’t say that. Just said when you get one of the largest contract offers it is hard to walk away. Is that not true?

10. tapintoamerica

Where was Mookie Betts relative to his free agency when the Red Sox dealt him to the Dodgers? Verdugo is a decent player. Not sure about Jeter Downs.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about Dombrowski trading Detroit's best two prospects for Miguel Cabrera. It's going to take at least that much, plus the ability to swallow Soto's long-term deal. The Tigers get Cabrera off the books after 2023, but there's no way Avila has the guts to package Skubal/Greene/Torkelson. If anyone but Chris Ilitch was running the team, Avila wouldn't even still have a job.

It just feels like a position perfect for someone like Farhan Zaidi in San Francisco. The Giants are solid contenders but their roster skews really old, even though there are promising prospects in the pipeline. Soto would be a fixture in right and there should be money to throw at him. The big question is who do the Giants have that would sway Washington? Luciano? Harrison? Matos? Ramos? Logan Webb? Carlos Rodon? Camilo Doval?

I'd also be interested to know if Seattle kicks the tires. That's right up DiPoto's alley. Would Ford and Arroyo plus perhaps Kirby/Brash move the (Space) needle?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Another team would have to be out of their minds to offer him a 15-year deal, no? Has no one learned anything from previous deals longer than 4-5 years?

Draft saved Draft deleted