1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

GAWD’S WILL!!

They really think that everyone is obligated to obey their deity.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are some states that permit abortion on demand for up to 24 weeks, which generally is considered by scientists to be the point of viability. However, there are some who are born and live at 23 weeks and even a few who are at 22 weeks, albeit with considerable medical intervention.

The anti-abortionists point to these 21-24 week abortions as proof that pro-choicers want to murder viable babeeze even though it’s such a small amount. They also claim that viable babeeze are equivalent to 6-week embryos. Those same anti-abortionists then whine when the rape/incest/health/life examples are thrown their way, even though they’re roughly the same percentage as post-20 week abortions.

And now they’re just starting to learn that their post-Roe utopia doesn’t exist. They’re not prepared to be on defense

Driftwood and Roscablo like this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

They are getting into the viability thing some now too, although usually wrong. Oh, I heard a kid once survived at 21 weeks?! Well, they all can! (Nevermind all the work and negative impacts on life.) There's a reason when something bad happens (0r even something good like twins) that physicians want to try and keep those pregnancies going as long as they possibly can. The outcomes are better!

I would argue that most abortions between say 20 and 25 weeks are still not something such as well, nevermind, I don't want it, let's just get rid of it. They are still almost always due to bad outcomes. Although, more likely to be more elective at that point than, you know, 30 weeks. Regardless, if they happen then it still shouldn't be anyone's business other than the mother and her medical care.

All these people who act like they know what is going on in these situations are laughable. Of course, many are the same people who think you can somehow save an ectopic or that killing the mother is somehow OK if she isn't going to survive the pregnancy.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They might decide that it's ok to cut open and lose an otherwise savable mother to save the baby...

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

the point is it’s none of their fucking business and the day of birth is the last day these Christ loving twats will be heard from Except to say NO to helping the child live.

X-Hack and Roscablo like this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Again ... "most" and "almost always" imply something substantially different from "it never happens." It apparently does happen.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And why is it anyone’s concern but the pregnant woman? And maybe in conjunction with the putative father.

Mngwa and Roscablo like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

An entirely fair question, but one that remains unasked if "It never happens!" is assumed.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I will stipulate that it does happen. I think the numbers where it happens are likely smaller than the 1,200 or so you came to in the earlier response. But for argument's sake, accepting a figure of 1,200 of those seeking an abortion after 21 weeks and where there is no direct threat to the mother's health or the viability of the child, those are almost universally people who learned of the pregnancy late (14 weeks or so) and have some other significant circumstance at play - an unsupportive (or worse) partner, lack of transportation, few financial resources, multiple children in their home, etc.

The purely for convenience abortion at that stage is extremely rare, but I am sure there are some that happen.

I am OK with limiting abortion access in the third trimester to those involving health risks to the mother or where the child is not going to survive (setting that line is difficult, admittedly) understanding that there will be a not insignificant number of mostly poor people who will be affected by such a policy. I think most pro-choice people are OK with that as well.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Roscablo likes this.
  11. Roscablo

Of course it happens, like anything. To assume it is some sort of widespread phenomenon, which you kind of did, is false in every way. Especially after viability. Healthy, 30-week and beyond pregnancies aren't getting aborted for shits and giggles, and 999 out of 1,000 are because something very serious is going on. You are assuming that people just think this is a normal procedure and woke up one day and said, yeah, I don't want this thing. Doesn't happen. You aren't considering the very devastating life circumstances that surround these types of situations.

Talk to any OB/GYN and find out what really happens, if you are curious.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Roscablo

Follow her for realistic information on all this. She is the No. 1 source. Any OB will give you similar info, she is just willing to shout it to the world what actually happens. Very well respected and close to many OB/GYNs.

Draft saved Draft deleted