1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I did no such thing. I explored it from the perspective of its being "some number greater than zero."
    That is absolutely false.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Worded poorly and I changed it. But I don't think you know tons about what actually happens in these situations, which are overwhelmingly negative, even if the sum is greater than zero.

It is the wrong thing to focus on, and as I said very early on, a garbage far-right talking point that stuck somewhere along the line that just isn't reality and messes all of this up for all who need it early, late, and whenever, and again is no one's business other than the person going through it.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You dont get to ask the question. But if you did anyway the answer is the same as the Sandy Hook dead kids, the dead Texas elementary school kids, the thousand of accidental gun deaths of children, the thousands of murders by gun shot each year; its the price we pay for freedom and liberty. If you Christ loving son of a bitches get to prioritize your ability to own your 101st gun over the life of a single 1o year old child, then the pregnant woman gets to make a decision you disagree with because of your personal prejudices

Smallpotatoes and Mngwa like this.
  4. doctorquant

Deep thoughts, deep thoughts.

5. doctorquant

No, I don't. I based my cipherin' on numbers from Guttmacher, the Kaiser Family Foundation and the CDC. If my sourcing is flawed, I am more than open to considering a different approach.

I do like that twitterer's use of "not medically indicated," however, and shall adopt that (or the acronym NMI) henceforth so as to be clear where I'm coming from.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hate using the rape/incest examples because they aren’t, for me, what a woman’s right to autonomy over her body is about. That being said, I think you are profoundly fucked up if your response to a pre-teen getting impregnated by a rapist is that it was God’s will that a new life was created and you must carry it to term.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's "sons a bitches." As in, "Sons a bitches! Bumpuses!"

8. Roscablo

That "Twitterer" might just be the foremost expert in the field. She's a physician. Does it for her job. Probably sees impacts from this every day. She might know a thing or two. It's ok to recognize that.

Also your numbers start at 21 weeks, which you stated. How many of those are between 21 and 24 weeks?

But whatever, as has been said, it doesn't really matter what you or I or anyone else thinks.

9. doctorquant

I'd already looked her up. Of course she knows a thing or two thousand about the subject. But I gotta sneaky suspicion that if one wants to know, say, how many abortions in which week-of-gestation bracket were done in the U.S. last year, the CDC or the Guttmacher Institute or the KFF (or similar) might be a better source. But that's just me.

10. Roscablo

So how many abortions happened in the last week of gestation?

11. doctorquant

I don't know. They don't report it. And I'd bet folding money she doesn't know either.

EDIT: And I'd bet even more folding money that if she wanted to know, she'd look to some place like ... Guttmacher, the KFF or the CDC.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Where are the death loving righting Christian soulless bastards when it comes to infant and maternal mortalilty? No where, the dirty Christian conservatives cant be bothered, too many prepubescent girls to rape.

Do women stop giving birth to live children on the 5.4 in 1,000 births that will result in death?

“The U.S. is the only industrialized nation in the world where maternal mortality is rising. And, the U.S. has nearly the highest maternal mortality rate among high-income countries. Each year, approximately 700 American women die during pregnancy, childbirth or subsequent complications.

And with respect to infant mortality, the U.S. ranks 33 out of 36 Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) nations. In 2018, while infant mortality reached an all-time low in the U.S., at 5.9 infant deaths per 1,000 live births, still more than 21,000 infants died. Compared to countries with a similar GDP, the U.S. infant mortality rate is much higher. France and the U.K., for example, have 3.8 deaths per 1,000 live births.” -Forbes

Roscablo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted