1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Lost Trea Turner to a trade over fears they couldn’t sign him as FA and who may be equally as valuable as any other player they’ lost. All boras clients too and they didn’t want to play in DC. And it belies every statement ever made by a FA player that they want to play for an organization that wins. Nats won a WS. Angels haven’t won any. Phillies have won 2 in 140 years. Harper wanted to say he got the most money ever, which last 2 weeks. Of all the Boras clients, Strasburg was the one they placated, big mistake. And they didn’t buy themselves any loyalty from Boras either, because he has a duty to each client.
    Soto isn’t worth 15 years. Almost no one is. They last 5 years are basically deferring salary. Offer 10/440. But he doesn’t want to play for DC. Boras didn’t make a counter-offer which means he doesn’t want to set the market and doesn’t want DC to accept it if he does.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I can’t blame anybody for being skittish about playing for the same team for 15 years. There’s a risk in turning down that length, but if you’ve already made insane money, the risk is mitigated.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

So what were these guys celebrating over in 2002? The coach taking them out for Blizzards at the Dairy Queen after the game?

Angels celebrate.jpg

MileHigh and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

As far as I’m concerned, anything after the 7th inning of game 6 of that series never happened :p

Tarheel316, TigerVols and HanSenSE like this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I forgot about that. I stand corrected.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“That’s a good policy.” - Cleveland baseball fans

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You would have to clean out the Monopoly bank 23,380 times to pay Soto's offer. :)

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Overcoming their shitty manager? /BYH

mpcincal likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to live in D.C. There are protest rallies everywhere all the time. People trash the Capitol and nothing happens to them. Incompetent morons are elected and become neighbors. Planes crash into the Pentagon. What a hell hole.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He reportedly punched no walls with his pitching hand after this.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

MLB draft has a long way to go
    Manfred just talks over the boos
    He doesn’t egg them on like Bettman
    Of course, my early days in the business teams treated the identity of draftees like state secrets

Draft saved Draft deleted