1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I think Batman's point is that this isn't just "something in her body." And your being a man has nothing to do with that.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Look, you and I seem to have wondered into some weird territory here. I referred to her as the "twitterer," which set this latest meander off. I have little patience with proof-by-Tweet, so if that offended you, I apologize.

I am sure she is very much an expert when it comes to the practice of particular medical specialties, even though by her own bio she doesn't appear to have practiced in any abortion-adjacent area in decades. Nevertheless, she is a physician. Some of 'em (e.g., Dr. Oz) are fools but fortunately very few are.

While through my job I do have access to all the top health science journals (and the middling and shitty ones, too), for the purposes of this discussion such is not necessary. Guttmacher and KFF and the CDC (whence came the numbers I've been noodling) are where you get the kind of numbers needed for the kind of points I've been making. Indeed, if you were writing an article for, e.g., Obstetrics & Gynecology, those sources would be where you go! Similarly, if you were writing that article and you didn't use their numbers, you'd have one hell of a lot of explaining to do and even then you'd probably get rejected.

Also ... I have no idea as to how large a portion of Dr. Gunter's earlier practice was devoted to abortion provision/counseling, etc. Unless that was her speciality (and I doubt it), that she never performed, or was asked to perform, a NMI late-term abortion isn't at all surprising because, as we've all agreed, they are exceedingly rare! Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics (that would be an OK source for this, right?), there are more than 21,000 OB/GYNs in practice in the U.S. Even if one accepts my cocktail napkin estimate of 1,200 a year, that means there's a pretty good chance that a given OB/GYN will go years between such instances.

When it comes to the practice of medicine, I am of course deferential (to a degree) to the doctors: Practicing medicine-by-Google is a fool's errand. When it comes to health care policy, however, there are several other disciplines I'd look to for expertise before I'd ask the doctors.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

FFS, take the loss, Quant. You're getting your ass kicked here.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

it is something in HER body. Not your body, not your responsibility, not your money, not your time, not your DNA, it has nothing to do with you. You are irrelevant except by your use or threat of force and coercion.
    It takes a village to deliver a fetus, but fuck the baby once it’s born, it’s all on the mother. And fuck her and the child if she can’t deal with deal it under every circumstance.

wicked, Mngwa and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. doctorquant

I don't think so, but what do I know?

EDIT: He (?) did slay me with that "the last week of gestation is called 'birth'." That one's gonna leave a mark.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

That's not how ass-kicking works. At all.

doctorquant likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I think we all get that it's HER body. But this is also not just SOMETHING in her body. That's the point. It's just the opposite side of the same argument. You think pro-lifers ignore that it's HER body. Anti-abortionists think that you ignore the fact that a fetus is not just SOMETHING in a woman's body.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A woman's body is not "just something," either.
    Why, most of 'em have fully developed lives, careers, maybe more kids to raise, too.

But, sure, let's mandate that Mommy's health, life and soul are way secondary to the almost-child.
    And that a buncha outsiders' male-dominated "religious" views are more important than vital medical decisions.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who are these ProLifers, its a mythical group. But the next step for the anti-abortionists is to seek a guardianship of the fetus until birth, ,then relinquish responsibility back to the mother. Because the only thing Christians hate more than abortion is giving a dollar to a mother of a newborn.

10. doctorquant

I know you didn't mean it that way, but the bolded part brought to mind a great, great scene ...

Slacker likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Does viability inform bodily autonomy? Does that rights argument - of bodily autonomy - change at 24 weeks?

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You know what's a lot of crap? Arguing about the very small percentage of abortions that are performed after viability. It's a tiny amount, and I believe it's done purposely to muddy the waters. Most women, when they find out they're pregnant and they don't want to be pregnant, have the abortion. Research everywhere you look backs that up. Pew has a paper that uses numbers from the CDC and Guttmacher that back tht up. And quite frankly, the fringes should never decide the issue. And as other people have said, if you're getting abortion in your third trimester, there's a reason for it. Most likely the fetus has died or is dying. Or the mom might. Anyone who uses the most extreme examples as proof that none of it should exist is an ass. And probably hates women, either out loud or deep inside. Anyway ...

"In 2019, 93% of abortions occurred during the first trimester – that is, at or before 13 weeks of gestation, according to the CDC. An additional 6% occurred between 14 and 20 weeks of pregnancy, and 1% were performed at 21 weeks or more of gestation."

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/06/24/what-the-data-says-about-abortion-in-the-u-s-2/

Draft saved Draft deleted