1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

SS Jackson Holliday, Matt’s kid, goes No.1 to the Orioles
    OF Druw Jones, Andruw’s kid, goes second to the Dbacks
    RHP Kumar Rocker No.3 to Rangers

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    maumann likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Playing Rush for the Blue Jays draft pick.

Huggy likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm quite fine with it since I'm likely never to see it again in my lifetime.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That was a nice touch.

Thought it was awkward that for the few kids that were there they'd give them a button-up jersey to put over their suit, don't even let the kid take the jacket off.

I like how fast it moved, all drafts can learn a thing or two about that.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but his income tax and luxury tax will pay for a lot of street repairs.

maumann and Spartan Squad like this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ohtani is amazing. He's not the best hitter in the game, but pretty studly and may win the MVP again but also the AL Cy Young in a situation where he's not solely a SP winning them both. It's almost like LL where the best hitter is the best pitcher.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He is amazing, but he's got a few guys he would have to pass to win the AL Cy Young this season. McClanahan, Verlander, Manoah, and Cease have all been better. Cole has a higher ERA, but I'd be willing to bet he would get it over Ohtani if the season ended today, too. All of those guys have roughly 20 more innings pitched, too.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He’s the MVP hands down. No contest. Quality Starting pitcher ,quality designated and position player. There’s no one more valuable than he is.

9. outofplace

He doesn't play a position. He has seven career appearances in the outfield, none of them this season. The combination of pitching and hitting contribution may be enough to beat out Judge, Devers, Ramirez, and Alvarez, who are all having fantastic seasons for actual contenders, but to say it is no contest when talking about a player on a team 14 games below .500 simply isn't true.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ohtani had a rough start to the season but he's been on a pitching heater for a while now and I'm just speculating as if that pitching continues.

It is a bit of a comedown that the Angels are so bad but 8 RBIs then a sterling 8 inn (?) and 13 ks the next day?

11. outofplace

It is an interesting anecdote, but the big RBI game has nothing to do with the Cy Young.

If everybody continues as they are, he belongs no higher than fifth in the AL Cy Young voting. maybe sixth depending on how people look at Cole pitching another 30 or 40 more innings.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to use the 8 RBI game as support for his Cy Young candidacy. Come on man, you know me better than that right:)

Draft saved Draft deleted