1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ben Kennedy is running the press conference, looks like.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Where, exactly, are they gonna pass on that track?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wasn’t under the impression Chicago struggled to attract tourists 4th of July weekend.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I didn't think there could be a NASCAR race in Illinois with less banking than Chicago Motor Speedway, but there it is.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Chip and NASCAR let greed get in the way of just going with one track that was, like, close to the city and people could get to. I suppose in 2001 the track in BFE might’ve been a better bet, but that was a short-sighted move.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

I realize he was going for the "super Martinsville" idea, but you want to talk about no passing, particularly for IndyCars? If he had just put some banking in the corners, that track could have been sort of like Atlanta before SMI Charlotte-ized it. I drove over there one time from Midway, just to see it before they took down the grandstands and it was definitely so much better than a cornfield outside of Joliet.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. maumann

Seems like the other thing I remember about CMS was that the grandstands faced south, which meant the fans baked in the sun all day. Not Chip's brightest idea.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

That was a function of the original horse track’s footprint, with little room between the backstretch and the property line, with Hawthorne Race Course, another horse track, on the other side. Sportsman’s Park ran harness racing at night so grandstand direction wasn’t important.

I was just happy the upper deck didn’t tip over when everyone moved at the same time. You could feel the movement and hear the crowd murmur. They were still finishing the upper suites during Saturday qualifying for the Sunday race of the 1999 inaugural.

maumann likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

One and Six. I think.

10. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

Four and Seven could see some action as well. Seven is at the bottom of a 20-foot or so drop down a bridge over railroad tracks.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Day started early.

12. maumann

Somebody in NASCAR's PR department watched "Grease" way too times as a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted