1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I think the discussion is following your first sentence. You said 'Christian bashing". If you left that part out, it could be an interesting debate on the topic without the religious part always getting in the way.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It is, until she’s the one who is pregnant. It’s not like each of them are pregnant with one of two portions.

Also, let’s not confuse having a say with demand. Certainly, a loving couple should discuss having children and if the woman becomes pregnant, the man does have a right to his opinion. But only his opinion as the woman is the one who is pregnant.

Because there’s a lot of anti-abortionists who think “the man having a say” means that the man should be able to force the woman to carry the pregnancy to term. What they forget is that if that was allowed, the “man having a say” could also mean that he forces her to have an abortion if he wishes.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And we wonder why men are absent in so many families. Somehow, this has become some sort of exalted view.

5. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Your writing is indeed fine, if not flawless, and we know what you meant. But when it’s convenient, or he thinks it helps his argument, the good Doc waves his academic dick and goes to the syntax card. Or pulls the Greg Brady exact-words card. Imagine taking a class from this guy. Talks down to literally everyone. Hey, doc, maybe visit the psych department at your fine institution. There’s probably someone there who can help iron out your need to do that.

TowelWaver likes this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

OMG, it really hasn't. This is a canard. Chances are if a woman experiences an unintended pregnancy, she's not in the best relationship or a permanent relationship or a serious relationship. Does that mean the man involved should not have a say? Of course not. But I have known women in this situation and they have the baby and then the man just decides he really didn't want to be a father after all. That happens every day in this country and it's not because of the women, it is because of the men. So of course the woman who is pregnant has a higher stake than a man who may or may not vanish in a week.
    It is hard to raise a child in a committed relationship. I'm sure it is much more difficult to raise it when you don't even really have a relationship with the man who provided the sperm.
    Abortion is never a statistic, it is always a human story.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We do?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do you ever wonder why there's such a "may or may not vanish in a week" crisis? (And there is.) Is there a specific, very recent, "men are prone-to-vanish little shits who don't want to be fathers" virus that wormed into American men in the last 60 years?

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that skews the issue to a point. I think this happened a lot before, the people didn't talk about it or kept it quiet, or shipped the women off to have their babies with Aunt Mabel in east b******. And the other prong I would say is that yeah, men have reacted to the growing equality of women in a truly s*** manner. So there's that.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This country has more single-parent households than any other country, three times more than the previous generation, and around 80 percent of those are mother-only.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted