1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 3, 2022.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Nowadays everybody wanna act like they can finger the Korg
    But nothing comes out when they play their synth
    Just a bunch of gibberish
    And motherfuckers act like they forgot about Rhodes

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

A former? member posted years ago he was going to get a Hammond from his in-laws.

Never found out if he did, but I hope he went John Lord on it.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Or at least Neil Doughty on it …

Machine Head likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hear he's playing in the Village.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nobody beats Steve Winwood on. Keyboards

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    OscarMadison and HC like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The father / sperm / papa-was-a-rollin' stone sidebar is interesting certainly, but contra Jordan Peterson I'm not convinced two-parent households always produce better outcomes for children.

Presumably some 'fatherless' households these days exist because women earn a better wage than they did 60 years ago, and don't have to stay in loveless abusive marriages in order to feed their kids.

Why 60 years is the cutoff for some of us, I have no idea. Someone should explain that to me.

My point regarding adoption and fostering remains the same. If you outlaw abortion AND contraception AND sex education, you're going to produce a great many more unwanted, unloved children. Of whom there are already hundreds of thousands.

And for all the 'Christian' and 'conservative' protests to the contrary, I think most of those children will go on being unwanted and unloved - and unadopted and unfostered - by the very people making those self-righteous arguments.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

PS.

Here's what kids were up to in those bygone good old days of traditional values and conventional parenting:

FB.jpeg

OKDARZWARVGW7FDGIMSL3NDVOA.jpg

DmQR3Y1VAAAOM_h.jpg

Lewis-Hine_cover.jpg

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That had nothing to do with abortion, though. Standards of living were way different, and life was way harder for A LOT of people when those photos were taken. Kids worked, because they didn't eat if they couldn't bring home food. That changed when standards of living grew with technological gains. We essentially became rich enough due to technology and how it changed how we lived. ... so that a lot of kids who were forced to grow up while they were really young could instead remain kids. And that is what we are used to, today.

I don't like your argument about what kind of household produces "better outcomes" for children. Or about whether outlawing abortion creates "unwanted and unloved kids."

It smacks of a eugenics kind of argument.

Abortion is either a perfectly OK thing with no moral problems that make it so it should be illegal. ... or it is akin to murder and should be prohibited. It really comes down to that.

If someone decides to have kids, though, or a kid is born, they have as much right to do it (and be here) as anyone else. ... regardless of the the circumstances of the family they were born into. Nobody made any of us any promises. We got dumped into the world, and regardless of whose sperm and egg made us, from that point on its up to us to justify our own existences. Not for someone trying to design the world based on what kinds of things they think create the best outcomes.

Batman and Azrael like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I didn't say it did.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I didn't make one.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Me, neither. "Generally"? Sure. "Universally"? No.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Another possibility ... It's one of the myriad things in this vale of tears that don't lend themselves to a clean all-good/all-bad categorization.

OscarMadison and franticscribe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted