1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Good questions here.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Same here. With the Beauverse on the story, I feel as if I know all I need to know.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I promise: Every single person employed by the SS from the bottom to the top spends time every year completing training on the importance and legal necessity of preserving government records.

Every. Single. One.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't see a link anywhere yet. But I think Joe Biden has tested postive for Covid.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fox reporting that right now.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Nope. Didn't watch Watergate, either. Or Iran-Contra. Or the O.J. trial. Or Johnny Depp. Or reality TV.

You could claim all the theatrics, evidence and testimony might keep this from happening in the future, but the fact remains: Jan. 6 happened and we can't go back in time and stop it, no matter how we decide to punish those who organized and participated in it.

Despite congressional inquiries, John Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy are still dead. The World Trade Center still collapsed. Challenger still imploded.

I don't need politicans or lawyers to teach me history. Knowing the cause doesn't change the outcome.

Driftwood and ChrisLong like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Especially when half the country will always maintain that NOTHING HAPPENED on Jan. 6.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The only one of those I watched was Watergate, and that one was the exception. It was monumental, and the hearings were bipartisan, well run, and led directly to the resignation of the President.

These hearings are basically marketing, trying to persuade the people who are willing to listen. They've been extremely well done in that regard, both because they have proved things we knew and brought out numerous new facts. They also avoided the clusterfuck of politicians preening for the camera in five minute increments or talking bullshit in circles in an attempt to muddy the water.

I think Thursday will be worth a look. To the degree that they have evidence against Trump this is when it will hit the table. For instance, they have the out takes of Trump making the "We love you but go home" video, showing how reluctant he was to say any such thing. Actually seeing and hearing him weasel out, then being pushed to do better repeatedly really brings out what his position was in a way that is very difficult to prove otherwise.

There is no way that this will be the last hearing of the 1/7 though. Too much information is still coming to light, for instance the Secret Service texts are still up in the air. I'm hoping that the committee actually has some of those. People are still coming forward with new facts and evidence. There is no way in hell that there won't be more of these hearings as the mid-terms grow closer. There is too much coming to light and it is going to damage the GOP and the Trumpist wing in particular too much for the committee to put that stick down and stop beating them.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

But it’s important to have people testify under oath. Without public hearings you have a Star Chamber and China like govt. Yes I’m a lawyer but I see every day how different people testify from their emails, and public statements. Without true testimony, lies rule the day.

We cannot take public hearings for granted. Please don’t.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

George Santayana to the white courtesy phone. George Santayana to the white courtesy phone, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted