1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's going to come eventually, but the average NASCAR fan just hawked and spat.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I just don't see it working. No one who goes for Cup qualifying on a Saturday morning will want to stick around and see a bunch of electric cars that'll displace the Buschfinitywide cars. I'd also imagine going electric would kill off 80 percent of the Xfinity teams.

maumann likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Robin Miller used to rail about one aspect of electric car racin' and he was absolutely right -- the lack of noise. Who wants to attend a silent race? Will Nascar pump in car sounds over the loudspeakers? Or encourage fans to make their own engine noises?

Driftwood likes this.
  4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've watched a few of the F1 electric races. It reminded me of the electric slot cars from childhood.

Whizzzz! Wheeeee! Rurrrrrrrr!

If they want to go ahead and kill NASCAR, switching to E would do it.

maumann likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Also, how can Nascar broadcasters call a race without 50 references to "Sunoco race fuel"?

SixToe, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If they’re smart they’ll do it on different tracks than the main series, or at least different weekends. Think of it as a brand extension to try and reach fans they don’t have now. If I knew the average NASCAR fan was unlikely to show up, that would make me more interested in sampling it.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Think how exciting those pit stops will be. Driver jumps out, plugs in his car, goes for pancakes and coffee, picks up some Slim Jims and a Big Gulp for the rest of the race ...

TigerVols and Michael_ Gee like this.
  8. dixiehack

It’s the new Mobil Economy Run!

maumann likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, Chris made me laugh. But I will continue with the thought I had prior to his post, that this discussion seems to be ignoring the primal appeal of all auto racing -- let's see who's got the fastest car. If technology can create EVs that are the fastest racers out there, audiences will inevitably drift to them and more importantly, so will manufacturers, sponsors, etc. NASCAR may be a cultural identity for its fans, but if EVs are out there dusting combustion engine cars, they will accept them. I am old enough to recall an earlier version of this technological battle, the struggle of the front-engined Offenhauser Indy cars against first, Parnelli Jones' turbine car (which was very quiet, BTW) and then the rear-engined cars modeled on F1. The Offy guys tried to depict themselves as defending a way of life, but as soon as the rear-engined cars won more races, they completely vanished.

FileNotFound, ChrisLong and dixiehack like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

— 30-minute races, one each on Saturday and Sunday… perhaps it appeals to some of the retired Cup guys who want to mix it up for a sprint race.

— Specs in the leaked doc call for cars making speeds currently reached on track. I’m skeptical about that, but Gee is right — they get that part down, they’re most of the way there.

— As a prelude to the main shows, they could work I guess. Doesn’t IMSA have like 391 support series that run timed sprints each race weekend?

— I watched some of the New York GP for Formula E. I’ve seen and heard worse. I’m sure CBS did something to enhance the noise.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Or the car pits, four jacks raise it a la F1, the pit crew hotswaps battery packs and whoosh, it's gone.

Electric drag cars already exceed 200 mph.

ChrisLong likes this.
  12. dixiehack

Imagine electric car races, but with advertising laws of two generations back. How many millions would Winston pay for shots of drivers going into the Sunoco to get a carton while waiting for a charge?

maumann and Michael_ Gee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted