1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

At least up here, police can’t continue a pursuit when it gets last a certain speed, due to the danger it poses to civilians

wicked and lakefront like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are similar guidelines here, I'm sure. The bigger issue is that Jackson is a shithole city whose police department is probably more focused on the 100 or so murders they have to deal with every year, and whose leadership is ineffective on damn near every conceivable level. A few years ago, one of the Jackson city councilmen even suggested residents throw rocks at the cop cars if they see them chasing someone. So the criminal element commits crimes in the neighboring suburbs (who do have competent police departments) and figure if they can make it back to Jackson it's a safe haven.
    The guy who ran into the mail truck in this case was your typical model citizen — a 20-year-old who was out on felony bond for drugs and firearms charges; a suspect in a murder and kidnapping; charged in another shooting and armed robbery last year; and had some other recent miscellaneous offenses on his record. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why he tried to run home instead of stopping when the cops tried to pull him over for speeding.

https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/2...pursuit-that-ended-with-postal-workers-death/

The end result is the suburban cops do their jobs; the criminals try to run back to home base like it's a game of tag; the suburban cops chase and follow them across the city line; the Jackson PD offers no help or cooperation whatsoever; and friction between the two cities ensues. Every so often, you get a tragedy like this.
    I think we can all agree the police need to exercise more caution, to the point of breaking off chases in the name of safety. But when one jurisdiction refuses to do anything about the root problem — and everyone knows it — it causes a huge problem for everybody else.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Police chases over traffic violations should never be allowed unless a known wanted felony suspect is in the car. Not sure if that was the case here and don't want to read about the story so I don't get pissed off.

qtlaw likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can read my Cliff's Notes version above.
    I don't know if, in this case, they knew the guy had the long rap sheet that he does and if that played a part in the chase; or if the chase stemmed solely from the guy running from the traffic stop. Either way, I think it'd cause chaos if everyone knew you could escape punishment simply by outrunning the cops to the city or county line.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Regan MacNeil

We're not in ACAB territory yet, but we're well on our way.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Regan MacNeil

Motherfucker.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

He needs to be let loose and hit multiple times with a car.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Special place in Hell.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This seemed an especially apropos post to put in the "Cops Gone Feral" thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted