1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Annnnnnnnd NASCAR just DQed the 11 and 18 out of the top two places at Pocono for failing a post-race inspection. Sounds like someone was messing with the nose.

maumann likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

For those of you familiar with the Snowball Derby, your Room Of Doom flashbacks are pardoned.

maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does that make Chase Elliott the first driver in NASCAR history to win a race without leading a lap?

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I predict NASCAR: Unwrapped will replace Girls Gone Wild as a late-night infomercial.

Batman likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's gotta be really egregious, no? I thought it was one of those sacred deals in Nascar that fans leave the track knowing who the winner is. Officials should show fans exactly what was wrong.

7. maumann

NASCAR credited Jim Roper with 47 laps led in the 1949 inaugural Strictly Stock race at Charlotte, even though Glenn Dunnaway finished three laps ahead. They didn't DQ Dunnaway until post-race, so apparently they just took all his laps away. Tim Flock told me the dust was so thick that day that nobody knew who was leading after about the first 25 laps. He honestly thought he won because he didn't remember getting passed on the track.

(Plus the box scores from any race before the Modern Era are highly suspect anyway.)

Driftwood, Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yes, that was one of Big Bill's mantras. The last time someone who took the checkered flag was DQd and someone else declared the winner was 1960

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why the 19 and 20 weren’t inspected, too. I know the 11 and 18 were 1-2, but I’m surprised they didn’t keep the other team cars around until clearing the winner. All the Gibbs cars were strong yesterday.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can't quite agree with disliking EFI instead of carbs. And I prefer manual transmissions to slush boxes.

Could not agree more. Also, trying to make NASCAR national ... at the expense of losing the places that made the circuit what it was. Not saying that going national was automatically bad. But closing North Wilkesboro, going away from Darlington for Labor Day Weekend, ripping away one of Darlington's races, no longer bothering with Rockingham ... and don't even start with evolution and growth. These places weren't some plot of mud in the middle of a field ... at least not after they accommodated the minnow pond.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is there a sport where more of the top teams get busted for cheating EVERY YEAR than NASCAR? And fine, let them have the win - but zero out their points, or at least make it all but impossible to make the playoff if you are caught more than once a season.

12. maumann

The NASCAR tech inspector hinted at something like a wickerbill/Gurney flap/aero device that was either welded on the fascia or maybe even 3D printed that could be hidden by the plastic sponsorship wrap upon visual inspection, but was obvious when they removed the wrap for post-race.

And why the hell did Claire B. ask the first question? It just shows how few actual reporters are covering the sport now.

I immediately stopped the feed at that point because she's a nice lady, but I can't remember too many races where she didn't suddenly emerge from her radio closet and ask, "So explain to me what just happened?" Like I said, she was nice to me but for as many years as she's been around, she really doesn't know (or care to know) how the stuff works or be anything but the friendly voice of NASCAR XM.

And she has a nickname in the media center that's not appropriate to discuss in polite company.

Draft saved Draft deleted