1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Norman Lear turns 100
    and shares the meaning of life

[​IMG]

Does he know the meaning of life? “Yes, the meaning of life can be expressed in one word: tomorrow.” What pieces of advice does he have that stand out above the rest? “There are two little words we don’t pay enough attention to: over and next. When something is over, it is over and we are on to next. Between those words, we live in the moment, make the most of them.” ...

You probably know of his tremendously prolific spell creating and producing some of the most vital TV sitcoms in the 1970s such as “All in the Family,” “Maude,” “Good Times,” “The Jeffersons,” “One Day at a Time” and “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.” And you’re probably familiar with the fact that he and his colleagues received praise for addressing hot-button issues in those shows, including racism and abortion, using humor and the humanity of his characters to expose and explore what he considered the “the foolishness of the human condition.” ...

He remains a true believer that the best of the country’s citizens will save it, should it need saving.

“America has never been in more need of its solid, caring citizens,” Lear says. “At 100, we are a long way from the America I believe I was born into. I don’t want to wake up in the morning without hope so I have the faith that enough caring, sensible Americans are fully dedicated to the rights the Constitution guarantees us all and will find their way.”

Norman Lear turns 100 and shares the meaning of life

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode of American Rust. Jeff Daniels is great, but I just can’t keep going with it. It feels like it was made from a Prestige Television kit.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I know that I’m an old man yelling at a cloud, but I was watching $100,000 Pyramid with my 14 year old. We like to play along, just like I did when I was a kid watching $10,000/$25,000 Pyramid.

The topics on the show were so adult — jokes about dick size, gay sex, what you might scream out in bed, etc. I’m not sure what the demo they are going for, but it is practically unwatchable.

tea and ease and lakefront like this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Half the Family Feud highlights I see are similar.

lakefront likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What makes me think Richard Dawson's shtick would not play nearly as well today?

6. Webster

I think that of what I’ve seen of Family Feud, it’s far dirtier than the Dawson days. But that show is stupid entertainment — Pyramid is a bit more high minded.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Well, Dick Dawson would be clearly drunk and grabbing at contestants, though.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Is there anything funnier than in the Newlywed Game when the question posed was

jr/shotglass likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Killian...I'll be back."
    "Only in a rerun."

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Black Bird just keeps getting better. The tension they’re building is pretty good.

11. Webster

I know that there were serious health issues with Jeff Bridges, but the last few episodes of The Old Man were an ungodly mess.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There was a clip show of 'Gameshows' Most Outrageous Moments' or something similar and the host of that show was on it and swore it never happened. Pre-internet it was considered an urban legend.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted