1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Where exactly are you getting that from? ... Because, 1) I just went to their site and all I found was them saying that the effect on INFLATION (not deficit spending) is statistically indistinguishable from zero, and 2) Even if they did estimate that. ... their work is (whether they are a hotbed of leftism. ... no idea why you said that) a bunch of projections that make all kinds of assumptions that never come to fruition because a) They can not predict with anything close to a degree of accuracy what the U.S. economy is going to do in the future. What that means is that the spending provisions (such as their extension of ACA subsidies) is a definite, while the projections of the various taxes they implemented may or may not bring in anything close to what is being projected to offset all of the spending.

This is exactly why Federal spending keeps going up on an exponential path (with some of the spending becoming mandatory, and never getting rolled back) while the bullshit revenue generators that they pretend are going to offset the spending never deliver. ... i.e. why our national debt keeps getting bigger.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right about my error, and I apologize. But if it's so hard to predict what the US economy will do, why are you so sure you know? I mean, the Wharton quants are surely convinced they know, too. I do not know what the economy will do, but I do know that your prediction record over the last decade-plus is, well, let's say mixed.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Pure Michigan MAGA

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We, the US of A, put them over there and caused them to be exposed to toxins. So I don’t give a damn if the bill doubles the deficit, we have to do right by them. It is our moral responsibility.

wicked, lakefront, Slacker and 9 others like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know. ... What I do know is what Congress has done over and over again. They use "pay for" language to sell bullshit about how they are paying for the trillions of dollars they have taken out of our economy (really our future economy, because they are borrowing from the future) and put into their hands to corruptly pass out. ... but those pay fors are ALWAYS complete sophistry and our national debt keeps rising.

What I also know about the U.S. economy. ... is that the monetary side of the fiscal /monetary pump has kept tax receipts very high for a freakishly long period of time since the financial crisis, and it's the only reason the amount of debt has not risen even more. Nobody should want to bank on that being there in any given year. If they don't keep pumping up the stock market, for example, the cap gains taxes they have raked in won't be there. As I said, the spending they come in with is a definite. ... and once they make it the norm it usually doesn't go away. The how they are going to pay for it stuff is NOT a definite. It's all a bunch of assumptions.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I dislike Scott because he made his fortune by starting a hospital chain that engaged in massive fraud. When questioned he sorted to the Fifth Amendment 75 times. The company was fined 1.7 billion dollars for Medicare and Medicaid fraud.

While the settlement is sealed I read that Scott's company systemically engaged in what is known as upcoding. They would change the code on an invoice to a more expensive procedure. So for example the company would bill for a double bypass rather than single bypass they actually performed.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The vote on this bill was 84-14 before it was sent back to the House
    It wasn’t voted down because of budgetary concerns
    It was voted down because the crybaby Republicans were pissed after Schumer and Manchin outmaneuvered them and this was their payback
    The fact veterans get screwed is immaterial
    Joni Ernst, Rick Scott and Tom Cotton, all veterans, voted no
    Here’s Ted Cruz celebrating after the bill failed
    The cruelty IS the point

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Also, when Scott was governor he led a charge to change the unemployment laws and make it much more difficult to get
    Florida was one of the worst states at handling unemployment claims during the pandemic

matt_garth and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Hoax

matt_garth likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Someone asked how the baseball game went?

Mngwa likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

These teams just flat out don't like each other, Keith!

Draft saved Draft deleted