1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think we were headed in that direction for a long time.

Trying to find a GP to practice in our town of 5,000 people out here in the sticks is impossible.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Be sure your local politicians are plugged into all the incentive programs designed to get young doctors into rural areas.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A question and a comment ...

Why did the BMJ researchers choose "county" for their unit of analysis when "state" is the level at which policy is set?

The SciAm writer actually wrote this passage: "[E]xperts say some policy choices may have a larger role than individual behavior in causing poor health." Experts may say it (you can find an expert who says any damn fool thing), but I'll eat my nastiest Titleist hat if it's true.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Recent research had shown that the most recent generation is within 20 miles of where they grew up and have a decided lack of mobility due to housing costs. I’ll have to find the story.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I saw that story last week. It’s a new trend. It also will be interesting to see who work from home alters these numbers.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

For those interested: https://apnews.com/article/census-2020-young-adult-migration-5b7c7f534278cb15cdc699eb132f0a78

The study
    found that by age 26 more than two-thirds of young adults in the U.S. lived in the same area where they grew up, 80% had moved less than 100 miles (161 kilometers) away and 90% resided less than 500 miles (804 kilometers) away.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. doctorquant

Having gotten to my laptop and read the actual BMJ paper, it appears the authors chose "county" for their unit of analysis because those who had gone before them had. They did not address the likely disconnect between their level of analysis and the level of health/economic "policy."

9. doctorquant

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Maybe young people live near where they grew up because their parents already made the move from less prosperous rural/urban areas to the suburbs 40 years ago? Just guessing.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This doesn’t take into account kids who moved 1,000 miles for college and returns home.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how you define New Yorkers, lots of cars in Staten Island and Queens, and maybe even Brooklyn. Manhattan seems to have a lot of pedestrian fatalities, motor vehicles killing pedestrians. But not a lot of car on car fatalities.

Draft saved Draft deleted