1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Now's the time to start singing if I was Meadows. Who knows, maybe he already has to the DOJ.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

This probably has been posted in the 3243 pages of this topic but why would people want to vote for Trump when they instantly know it will seriously divide the country again. There is no semblance of gray. It's either love or hate. You seriously want to go through that spin cycle again?

ChrisLong, tea and ease and lakefront like this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The division is the point. These people want the fight.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The thing about Ivana Trump's burial is it really had to come down to one or all of three older children signing off on it. I can't think of any reason Donnie would have a say-so in the burial of his first ex-wife. The kids allowed it to happen with their mother.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't call him that.

At least one can empty the bag's contents and get something to grow.

Meanwhile, SPC and his wonderful children bury the first wife and mother alone off one of his golf course. Par for his course ...

Driftwood likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did she not have any other family? I find it odd that we haven’t heard from many, if any, who were close to her.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's primo rock he done smoked.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are grifters. ... dishonest.

But in this case? You can say it is unseemly and be like, "Really?"

But this is the tax code the state of NJ set up. They are actually doing nothing illegal if they get it all set up correctly and there is actually a cemetery there. It's not like the schemes to value buildings one way for tax purposes and then value them higher for insurance purposes. Or any of the countless illegal things they have done -- and continue to do -- to steal from others.

I sometimes feel so out of the mainstream, but when I saw these stories last week, my initial reaction wasn't so much anger at Trump or his kids, even if I laughed and thought, "They would have sold her eyeballs the minute the body was cold if they had a buyer." My reaction was more, "Why do we have a tax code that can be exploited that way in the first place?" The cemetery business can be very profitable and lucrative for someone. Why exactly do they get exempt from all income tax, property taxes, fees, etc. when some other guy who runs a business selling a different good or service might have to turn over 10.75 percent of his income to the state, plus pay the highest property taxes in the country? How much money changed hands to get those tax benefits? It's so patently unfair in not treating equal citizens equally.

I find Trump as ridiculous and unseemly as any of you do for this, but the only thing he's really guilty of (until he inevitably crosses a line) with this, is being willing to be ridiculous to look like he is exploiting the tax code. Isn't the tax code the problem?

Ill also say this up front. ... Most of Trump's signature businesses, including his golf courses, lose money hand over fist (he uses them to lower his taxes. ... a la that NY Times expose). So if that Bedminster club loses money, technically putting a cemetery there would not help on the income tax side; it would help on property taxes. At some point, none of us would be surprised to find that Trump was writing off losses on the golf club AND taking an illegal write off of some sort for the cemetery. If that turns out to be the case, it obviously takes it out of the realm of what I was saying above where he isn't technically doing anything illegal.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I don't think most think that it is illegal, just tacky.

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That climate change package so many are excited about is, as I understand it, chock full of tax incentives. When companies avail themselves of those incentives so as to not "pay their fair share" of taxes, will we consider that exploitation of "LOOPHOLES!" to be grift?

Draft saved Draft deleted