1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“If we can’t joke about an elderly man getting a virus that’s killed a million people, what are we even doing here, folks?”

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My man, if that's the best thing we have to bash Trump about today, maybe we can ignore him for one news cycle.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

25 years ago, what former president would have ever ever ever made a public statement like that?

4. jr/shotglass

Az, I knew that wasn't going to get a round of applause here. I'll still stand by it. You can tsk-tsk it if you want. Like conservatives, liberals just stand around waiting for something to jump out of their skin over. :)

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We tried this strategy in November and December 2020. He ended it by trying to overthrow the government.

Trump is not a toddler throwing a fit on my kitchen floor. Ignoring him doesn’t defuse him. Making fun of him doesn’t do anything, either.

But that amuses me, at least.

He’s an untreatable cancer, whether he wins in 2024 or not. I’m not going to just ignore him while he metastasizes, though. I’ll be here to mock him until he and his group kill the body.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

Have at it.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not tsk-tsking anything, I'm asking a pretty simple question.

I think you have to go all the way back to the founding to find US presidents and former presidents and potential presidents insulting one another publicly.

I'm just asking what kind of public statement made by any former president in the previous 25 years (your timeframe) would rival that post by Trump about Biden.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Truman would’ve written it, stuffed it in an envelope and thrown it away the next morning.

Azrael likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

You're making too much of the "25 years ago" thing. The point is -- the level of liberal outrage sometimes gets hard to take. By anyone, even other liberals.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sometimes people are reacting to something.

Not overreacting to it.

11. jr/shotglass

And in this case, my opinion is that they are overreacting to it.

Strongly.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But Trump's whole MO is to cause outrage.

Why wouldn't people be outraged at some of the things he says?

Causing outrage is the goal.

OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted