1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don’t worry, Fox News is ripping Biden for … underestimating the jobs report.

2. Inky_Wretch

Zero Hedge? You trust that whackjob site?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

All those floods in Kentucky and no one misses a days work because they are all alcoholic, meth abusing evangelical, white welfare whores on disability. But vote for Rand Paul Because government sucks.

4. Inky_Wretch

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

On U.S. macro data? The person who does those posts is consistently spot on.

This isn't opinion. Either what is in that post is factually correct, or it isn't. Have at it.

I can tell you that most of what they do along those lines is pretty accurate. I go through the BLS surveys myself (I haven't yet from this morning, I am knee-deep in things today) because it's become entertaining to see just how big a distortion of reality each month now brings, and HOW they do it. If what they said is true, I can guarantee that you will be calling a lot of other people who have nothing to do wiht them whack jobs, too.

The BLS knows it can do whatever it wants and all mainstream news sites are going to do is parrot the headline number they throw out there. Anyone who does a dive into what they are doing is going to get dismissed as a "whack job." It's wash, rinse, pravda, at this point.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  6. The Big Ragu

Translating what it said into something more anecdotal, but concrete, this was a story from the WaPo a few weeks ago:

The BLS might be taking a surge in people like that and counting all of their side hustles as "new jobs."

How much of a factor that would be in a blow-out report that beat estimates by a lot? I have no idea. I can try to glean what I can from the household survey data when I have the chance, but I am not sure what it will net.

Having seen a lot of amazing things in those BLS reports over the last 10 years or so, I wouldn't be surprised if they did do that on a large scale. If that is the case, whether they are clueless or dishonest. ... well, I have my suspicions.

7. The Big Ragu

Another thing from today (that 99.9 percent of the world doesn't pay attention to). The U.S. economy that has supposedly been steaming toward full employment. ... has incomprehensibly given us record mortgage, auto loan, student loan and credit card debt (up significantly somehow while millions of jobs have been being created).

Household Debt and Credit Report - FEDERAL RESERVE BANK of NEW YORK
    https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/interactives/householdcredit/data/pdf/HHDC_2022Q2

Of course that is actual data, not "adjusted" data.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Diving into the numbers isn’t why I think that’s a whackjob site. A sympathetic explainer and coverage of Qanon is.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don’t mean to kink shame, but I keep getting this disturbing picture of Ragu searching the world for a dominatrix wearing leather, spike heels and a Milton Friedman mask.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted