1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Nice pull! Of course if Major Charles Emerson Winchester was a) real and b) still alive, he'd be about 110 years old. I know plenty of old-line WASPs around my age (late 40s/early 50s) from "Brahmin" families who grew up either on Beacon Hill or in the Back Bay, rich parts of Cambridge near Harvard Square -- or in old-money burbs like Lincoln, Carlisle and Marblehead -- and they have no regional accent at all. Just standard rhotic American English, indistinguishable from the accent I had growing up in Michigan (I don't have a nasal Michigan twang -- neither of my parents are from there, and I don't sound like either of my parents).

The other accent you don't hear anymore is the old rural Yankee accent people associate with those from Maine, Vermont and parts of NH ("You CAHN'T get THEY-UH from HE-AH). A friend of mine grew up in the Winnipesaukee region of NH and has very subtle traces of it when he pronounces certain words, as does another friend of mine who grew up in northern Maine (Houlton, on the New Brunswick border, at the northern terminus of I-95). But it's barely detectable -- you have to listen carefully for it and they're both in their mid-50s anyway.

Driftwood, wicked and Octave like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

New Civil War huh? OK.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The head nun of my grammar school had this accent, and the bearing to match. It is obsolete by now. You don't even hear it in movies.

X-Hack likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My mother was from Boston and had no detectable accent until late in life. My grandmother was from Houston and you'd never have known at all.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Speaking of Bahstahn accents on TV:

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Netflix documentary on the Gardner Museum heist is, as my daughter put it "an artist's palette of Boston accents."

UNCGrad, tapintoamerica and garrow like this.
  8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It's not "Bah-stahn". It's "BAW-stin". Exhibit A: the late Mayor Tom "Mumbles" Menino:

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Of course we have a Gadsen Flag plate in Tennessee. ::sigh::

A modern urban Southern accent, courtesy of Sandman:

Note the soft, rounded off edges, the elevation of the upper palate, the sibilant s, the weird lilt that calls back to earlier iterations.

Here's a quick, fun bite of info about where those accents originate.

Driftwood and doctorquant like this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy with a heavy Boston accent
    The woman who ran our office was named Barb
    For him it was: “Hey Bob, could you do this for me?”

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Bernie’s getting too old for this shit

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not rooting for one, but it sure wouldn’t shock me.

My pessimism in the future of this country is rising faster than the prices at the grocery store.

Basically, I’m turning into Paul Kantner (minus the Jefferson Airplane royalties, child fathered with Grace Slick and rants about Cleveland).

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted