1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I figured it would have a more elongated vowel sound, like a diphthongal a followed by ah. "Baahb." Learn something new every day.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Can you hear them?
    They talk about us
    Telling lies
    Well, that's no surprise
    Can you see them?
    See right through them
    They use religion as a shield
    Many secrets to reveal

Doesn't matter what we say
    No one listens any way
    Hey, hey, hey
    Their guys stop the steal

There's a weapon
    That they will use
    In their defense
    Violence

When you look at them
    Look right through them
    We really hope they'll disappear
    That's when we'll lose the fear
    It doesn't matter what we say
    No one listens any way
    Hey, hey, hey

Pay no mind to what we say
    It doesn't matter anyway
    Hey, hey, hey

Hush, dumb racist
    Don't you cry
    Donnie angel
    Will dry your eyes

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

That probably is a little more accurate

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It probably actually was pronounced "Baahb" (which, with the broad "ah" would sound like "Bob" to someone from the Great Lakes). If this person was actually trying to say "Bob," it would be "Bawwb." And if he's a true Masshole, it would be "Bawww-by." I'd imagine Bawww-by" can't get ovuh "Tawwww-my" moving on to "Tamper." But he's thrilled that "Pawww-pi" is a fahkin' Hawl of Fam-ah.

And that's all I got.

Edit:
    I'll add that there's ethnic distinctions. When I hear an older Boston accent, I can tell if the speaker is Irish (Southie, Charleston an any number of working-class suburbs -- that's the typical "townie" accent), Italian (East Boston, Saugus, Revere, Winthrop) or Jewish (originally Dorchester, Mattapan, Chelsea, Malden and later Brookline, Newton, Randolph, Swampscott and Sharon). There's even a Black Boston accent (former Patriot and Boston native Jermaine Wiggins, who's on the radio, is probably the best example)

And that's all I got.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

You get some quaint ones in the more tucked-away parts of Virginia, as well.

John Travolta probably pulled off the worst Southern accent ever in Urban Cowboy. Although it's a lot easier to speak Georgia than Texas.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Can finally breathe easier about the expanded ACA subsidies. Thank god. Inspired me to write my first-ever letter to a Senator even. Have talked about it before here. We started on ACA in its first year and for two of us it went from about 800 to almost 1,300 for the premium. We made too much to get the subsidy but not enough where that wasn't a stomach punch. When they extended the subsidies to include more people last year, we had discount from June on and now all this year but that would have gone away. I'd calculated ours would have gone from 680 this year to over $1,600 next year if we lost the subsidy. Had no idea what the hell we were going to do.

8. Jake from State Farm

You know who looks pretty good right now
    Chuck Schumer

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Me too. So glad that passed. It’s a lifesaver.

garrow and Small Town Guy like this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

I wish they could have passed the $35/month cap on insulin for private insurance but I’m glad it’s there for Medicare

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They could still pass it, if they can find 10 Rs to support it. You wonder why they don't.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/07/insulin-cap-budget-congress/

“Republicans have just gone on the record in favor of expensive insulin,” said Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). “After years of tough talk about taking on insulin makers, Republicans have once against wilted in the face of heat from Big Pharma."

Fred siegle and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted