1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No surprise. Most of the GQP is bought and paid for by big pharma.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The cap for Medicare recipients survived
    Only voted down for private insurance

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

not to threadjack, but I listened to Stairway yo Cleveland today for the first time in known history.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My mom may be the only person I know who willed herself into a typical Southern accent in order to sound “less” countrified. Such is the way it goes when you grow up on the Cumberland Plateau, where you aren’t technically in the full-fledged Appalachian Mountains but the nasal twang (and too often the grinding poverty and drug addiction) is as thoroughly woven through the local culture as anybody in the spine of the mountains to the east.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

The guy with the Wagoneer who Vito capped had a solid accent, and the “let’s do this by the book” attitude to match.

X-Hack and Octave like this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And Republican jerkoffs the whole country over are focused on.... drag queens......

Machine Head likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ok, here are seven names I expected to see in the same paragraph.

Republican Sens. Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy of Louisiana; Susan Collins of Maine; Josh Hawley of Missouri; Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi; and Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan of Alaska joined Democrats in voting to keep the insulin cap for private insurers on Sunday.

It might have been better for the Dems that they had to vote "line by line" - easy for a GOPer to say they voted against something because it's "stuffed with pork" harder to explain votes against specific items that most Americans support.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

If I’m Val Demings I’m filming commercials tomorrow about Little Marco voting down the insulin cap — and negotiating prescription drug prices

lakefront, Machine Head and garrow like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think there is such a thing. I know to a non-Southerner we "all sound alike," but I can pick out three accents just within South Carolina.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I guess you would call it an urbanized white person Southern accent, equally likely to be heard in Charlotte or Birmingham or Little Rock. The mild setting if you will. Co-workers would occasionally tease her about sounding like a “Yankee” but she never got remotely close to that. Like me, her mountain twang comes out more when gathered with extended family, or tired or angry.

If anything, I guess she unknowingly grew to pattern-match dad, who lived in Pensacola for his first 16 years and has sounded like it ever since.

OscarMadison, maumann and doctorquant like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted