1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

I subscribe to the NYT full digital (I think they call it) offering and to The Athletic.

I looked at my NYT subscriber page. It turns out I get The Athletic as part of it. So I will save money and The Athletic will lose a unique subscriber.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My sub for The Athletic jumped from $59 to $71 back in spring.

Just switched my NYT sub to Full Access, which is $6 a month until next August and then $25 per month that includes the Athletic, NYT Food and some other stuff I won't check.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are in the phase of using introductory pricing to try to hook people on their bundle. This was part of the strategy they had in mind in buying the Athletic. The hope is that those people will see tremendous value. ... and then ultimately, they are probably going to be looking for the average subscriber to be paying $20 to $30 a month, which will still be a nice discount to getting everything in the bundle a la carte.

Enjoy the introductory pricing while it lasts.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

$20 to $30 a month for Full Access to NYT stuff, which includes the Food stuff and recipes, might not be bad if I decide to use all that. If not, I'll just go back to Basic and be done with the Athletic altogether. It really is just a luxury, tbh

Draft saved Draft deleted