1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Nothing will ever beat the Tropicana Orange coming untethered, rolling down the front straight and interrupting qualifying at Chicagoland, but this is a pretty good launch angle and distance at IMS.

Driftwood, Batman and franticscribe like this.
  2. maumann

Looks like they demolished the two infield structures that were on the verge of falling down a decade ago, which actually improves the sightlines. Welcome back, North Wilkes!

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

First part of one summer a loooooong time ago I drove "off the mountain" to Winston-Salem twice a week to teach a nighttime class. Driving by that speedway was always kinda sad. Glad to see it "back."

maumann likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Again, when do we start wondering about KuBu’s future in a race car?

Ty Gibbs in the 45 again at Richmond.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If only they'd taken Junior out of the car for six weeks after that big wreck in Fontana.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe Kurt should read Junior's book.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Looks likeNASCAR hosted a race in Richmond exclusively for Richmond Flying Squirrels season ticket holders.
    I mean I know professional sports no longer care about attendance, but yikes

Driftwood likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Do you really think 60,000 fans want to pony up $100 to bake on an August afternoon in humid Virginia while sitting on metal bleachers? I heard that the weather was tolerable today, but I’m sure the idiocy — or intentional nature — of scheduling that as a day race played a major role. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to Rockingham the place for at least one date.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It would be a chore for me to sit down list all the tracks I've been to for stock car races, but I will say this:
    Richmond, after the reconfiguration, might be my favorite track. It's 3/4's a mile, so there is some speed and racing, but you can still see everything.

maumann likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

Will Kurt Busch be back in the car this season?

12. maumann

Definitely thumbs up about Richmond.

About a quarter to a third of all the racetracks I've been to no longer exist, with Riverside probably being the most well-known. I was asked by the desk one time for a rough guess, and I think it was well over 70 tracks, as a fan, announcer and writer. Dave Rodman stopped counting after 110-something.

Just in northern California alone, Laguna Seca and Sears Point road courses, plus ovals at Altamont, Antioch, Baylands, Calistoga, Chico, Madera, Petaluma, San Jose Speedway, Santa Clara Fairgrounds, the Sacramento Mile, West Sacramento Raceway, Watsonville and 99 Speedway in Stockton.

The only Cup track before 2012 I didn't get sent to was Kentucky. I guess I could add L.A. Coliseum, Nashville Superspeedway, COTA, Road America and Indy infield to that. But I did do both Mexico City and Montreal Busch races, plus Iowa.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted