1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2022 running NASCAR, IMSA & other racing things thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That would have been awesome 20 years ago, both in terms of the racing and my age, but now because of the racing and my age, I'd probably be miserable.
    I was asked about taking a similar NHRA gig back then, and it would have been a dream job, but even then, I didn't want to have to be based in SoCal. If I could have lived where I wanted, I would have jumped on it and probably still been at it.

TigerVols and maumann like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

One former co-worker landed a PR gig with Force for two years before a weird falling out. He said it was so much more laidback than NASCAR. However, he didn't like Kent and Brainerd at all. And it seemed to rain here every time NHRA came to Atlanta Dragway in Commerce.

playthrough and Driftwood like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Just as a local yokel reporter previewing events, the NHRA guys were such great interviews. Generous with their time, forgiving of dumb questions, etc.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  4. Driftwood

I used to be a regular at Atlanta for many, many years. The gig I could have landed would actually have been with NHRA, so I would have been based out of Glendora. I just couldn't do it.
    Brainerd is one of the tracks that is sort of a bucket list for me because of its fame/infamy. It is supposed to be a rocking time on Saturday night... about like Talladega.

maumann likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There are guys in this ARCA race at Watkins Glen who should still be running quarter midgets in their back yards.

maumann likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know NASCAR wants support events, but placing ARCA cars on a weekend schedule on a road course is silly.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Buschwide race is worse. Already over 2 hours and some guy just caused a 20-plus minute caution because he spewed motor oil all over the track.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

Speaking of Brainerd. And he walked away from a "holy crap!" moment.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Driftwood likes this.
  9. Driftwood

This is really good. Apparently Ricky Rudd and Bobby Labonte were bitches.
    If you don't watch Dale Jr.'s podcast, you are missing out. He has some of the best interviews.

maumann likes this.
  10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Dale Jr. has to be on the Mount Rushmore of athletes who most gracefully handled life after pro career/stardom. He seems incredibly comfortable in his own skin.

11. maumann

I can think of at least another half dozen drivers who should have been knocked on their asses by a tire changer behind the hauler for whining about the car every single race.

And Paul Menard earns a special place for being prickly. It had to have been Phoenix or California where the top 10 in points from the 500 were required to hold a media scrum. He came in to the media center and immediately grumbled, "I'm glad I don't have to do this s--t every week." I was just about to grab the media mic and tell him how little we cared. In fact, I don't remember him ever being in the top 10 in points again, so I hope he stayed glad the rest of his sorry-ass career.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Menard had a ride not because his name was over the window netting but because his dad’s name was on the quarter panel.*

(not that it makes him unique in motorsports)

Draft saved Draft deleted