1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The place I had my Lasik/PRK done in 2013 had "Grease" playing in its waiting room.

Day of consultation: "Grease."
    Day of surgery: "Grease."
    Followup day after surgery: "Grease."
    Followup five days later after the epithelium heals: "Grease."
    Two years later when wife had her Lasik done: "Grease."

I wonder if/when they ever changed it, and how the receptionist kept from going crazy hearing all day***, every day.

***In between the movie showings was a 10-minute Lasik explainer video, which also was always the same one.

maumann likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From today's Giants-Rockies game.

Batman and maumann like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Imagine how much worse it might have been if the game had been a nine-inning affair. Part of doubleheader so only 7. Only 6 offensive innings for the Skeeters.
    Also wild: The OKCs did not use a position player on the mound. All damage incurred against/by professional pitchers, two of whom failed to retire a batter in the 17-run sixth.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

RIP John Wockenfuss at 73. Traded with Glenn Wilson to Phillies for Willie Hernanez and Dave Bergman before the 1984 World Series championship season. And possessed one of the unique batting stances in history.

[​IMG]

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I probably saw 10 major-league games in person growing up. We were just far away enough from four MLB franchises to make all of them a long trip.

One was July 4, 1977, when John Wockenfuss stunned Baltimore's Memorial Stadium by hitting two home runs for the Tigers.

I can still recall the stunned silence of the smart Balmer baseball crowd as he circled the bases on No. 2.

matt_garth and maumann like this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As of today, a total of 13 players on track to qualify for the batting title are hitting ≥.300. If that holds, it will be the lowest total since -- wait for it -- 1968, when they were six.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There was a real concern that year that nobody in the American League would hit .300. Yastrzemski hit .301 to win the title. They lowered the mound in 1969.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Yankees are 10-19 since the all-star break — and still have a .607 winning percentage and an eight-game lead in a division where the worst team is only one game below .500.
    How is that even possible?

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Plus the way he moved his fingers on the bat like he was playing the piccolo before he got set
    That trade won the pennant for the Tigers

maumann likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

John Wockenfuss is a staple of mediocre '80s baseball card collections, like mine.

Also went to the same high school as Gary Smith.

maumann and Batman like this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hell of a game between the Mets and Phillies.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sorry rant ahead that no one in their right mind should care about …

Fucking hell. Split a four-game set to Arizona and drop two of three to Colorado. Can people in San Francisco please admit this myth the Giants would contend for a wild card was over back in June?

And maybe Farhan’s solution to main guys getting hitter was to bring in all the DHs possible was dumb. And doing nothing at the trade deadline was equally as dumb.

I’m going to flip a table. Thanks for bearing with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted