1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wages have stagnated over the last 40 years? The median household income 40 years ago was between $9,500 and $10,000 a year. Today it's somewhere between $65K and $70K. Even in real terms (whatever measurement you want to use, PCE, CPI, etc), wages have gone up in inflation-adjusted terms over that time period.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

That guy does have some killer commercials. But he's no Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro.

Or Lowell "The Hammer" Stanley (pay attention to the background)

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Fine. But compared to productivity and compared to real buying power, it's not the same as it was 40 years ago.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“The Hammer” (Darryl Isaacs) in Indiana stands on top of A MOVING (CGI) SEMI in his commercial. It’s incredible.

Also, the fakest veneer teeth I’ve ever seen.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Can't spell student loan relief without "OAN"

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Funny, we have an Alabama Hammer here. Is this a legal franchise?

dixiehack likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Behold.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

C'mon, man. From the U.S. Census:

That's 40 years ago.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I went back 50 years ago. What I was saying still stands. Wages (and real wages, too) are up over the last 40 years. The time frame doesn't matter. Wages aren't stagnating.

The argument people usually make was the second one that @Kato just made about wages not keeping up with productivity gains. FWIW, that depends on how you measure productivity. It's one of those things that can be turned into whatever narrative you want it to be. I think the proof of the pudding is that people's standards of living (whatever their nominal salaries were then or now) have not stagnated over the last 40 years. The majority of the population owns all kinds of stuff that does things that were unimaginable 40 years ago.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted