1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh, guess what debt can’t be wiped out in bankruptcy?

2. dixiehack

Slacker and OscarMadison like this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The best thing about this debate the country is having over the student loan forgiveness is finally we're debating about something that was a win for liberals.

garrow, dixiehack, heyabbott and 5 others like this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I disagree, not for the cartoonish reasons attributed to me but because out there are many, many, many millions of people who took the government at its word and made their education choices -- rather than go here and take on a lotta debt, maybe go there and don't take on much debt? maybe don't go at all? -- accordingly. They have to live with the consequences of their decisions. What's so special about the "Forgive!" set that its members don't have to live with the consequences of theirs?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. doctorquant

If you could wipe out student loan debt in bankruptcy, there wouldn't be nearly so much of it.

6. dixiehack

I’m sure there’s some Trump appointee on a Federal bench in Possum Droppings, Texas, who will slap a nationwide injunction on it and pin the decree on his door with a Bowie knife.

7. doctorquant

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No idea what that link says, but it doesn't take a think tank to understand that it is going to be regressive, any more than it takes one to understand that if you slam your head against the wall is going to cause a lump.

This wasn't done for a progressive reason. It was done because there is 1) a midterm election coming up, and 2) this does an amazing job of trying to buy the votes of people who are among the most likely to actually vote.

It was as cynical as Donald Trump mailing checks to people and wanting his name to be on the check.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jesus forgave your debts. Biden forgave mine.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that a less obvious reason for this limited loan relief is that it might easier to accomplish than to try to address the root of the problem, the simultaneous rapid increase in the costs of college education and the drastic cuts by states for the funding of that education.

WriteThinking likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

GS pointed out that it's regressive too. Lower income people don't have student debt.

The gist of what they put out, though, was to say there is an offset. They expect this to boost aggregate demand economically (which is what has inflation raging). ... but they think it will be offset by the fact that in January they are going to start forcing people who have been in forbearance for the last year nad a half to start making payments again on their loans.

That is kind of the consensus. Not just GS.

What I think it misses. ... is that all things being equal, this is inflationary. Only when you start from the base of the forebearance can you point to that offset. If you start from the vantage point of those loans already existing and the interest cost and prinicpal having accrued (whether people were paying what they owe or not), all things being equal this is more of the same kind of stupidity that caused the inflation that is hammering everyone now.

Draft saved Draft deleted