1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

They did address that. They said normal payments resuming at the first of the year should offset this influx of cash. I don't know if they're right. I just thought it was worth sharing.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You repeated what I posted. Of course it's true.

And like I said, presumably those loans weren't going to remain in forebearance forever. Unless the new normal is a fantasy to expedite destroying the economy quickly instead of more slowly.

If they don't hand out $300 million or $400 million or whatever it is going to end up being, but they start forcing people to pay what they owe again in January, their analysis would have said that they expect it to help TAME inflation.

3. The Big Ragu

And the reason that they pushed back people having to repay again to January? It's after the mid-term election.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Vast right-wing conspiracy.
    Benghazi, done to harm Clinton.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I think I agree mostly what you're saying. And debt forgiveness doesn't solve the systemic issue.

But here's the thing: If you want a job with extravagant things like paid vacation, paid sick leave, health insurance, the potential for retirement someday, good luck doing that without a college degree.

TowelWaver, OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This scares me more than jihadis.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cancel one aircraft carrier group and its all paid for with money leftover for veterans health care.

vicd likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The same arsonists who just rode in on the firetruck to do this were the ones who created that reality the last time they rode in to put out the fire.

But I give you points for not recognizing it, as usual.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If we just unleashed the free market, it would be fine!

10. The Big Ragu

What a wit.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I consider this to be nothing more than an amusing "N = 1" anecdote ... Have played a few rounds of late with a "new" guy in my golf circles (he's really not new, he's just an on-again/off-again member whom I'd never met before). Nice guy, pretty low-key, like me he sips his beer in silence after the round whenever the rest of the gang drifts into politics. Turns out he owns a company that makes and sells ambulances and the like.

A week or so ago he and I were chuckling about our early-20s dumbassedness and he revealed he'd been shown the door at his college a mere four days after arriving there ... Apparently rush week was one HELL of a good time.

Anyway, a little later, he got kinda serious and said over the years he'd caught himself feeling kinda "lesser than" when around people who put so much stock in their having finished college. "But then I got to thinking, 'What color's your jet, mother-effer? 'Cause mine's blue and white!' And then I'd feel better."

wicked and Justin_Rice like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that the voice protesting the student loan forgiveness the loudest on this thread is dependent upon tuition payments for their salary. Perhaps one senses the decades long upward tuition cost trajectory is coming to an end?

Draft saved Draft deleted