1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Azrael likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I kind of disagree. A lot of the crap we are dealing with today is a product of the 1990s when government policy geared toward a national investment in everyone going to college. ... gave us soaring tuition costs and crippling student debt on the back of government-backed loans (and the moral hazard it introduced). Trying to centrally plan people's lives is actually an investment in big, unintended problems more often than not.

A college degree that hasn't been dumbed down is relatively difficult to achieve. It's not achievable for everyone. Putting a devalued piece of paper in everyone's hands doesn't benefit anyone, economically or civically.

On top of that, when you make something "free" you devalue it by definition. People who wouldn't have wanted it at even a nominal cost will demand it when there is no cost. So its worth really suffers, to the point that empirically it usually comes full circle where the number of college graduates would likely decline. When something is free, it isn't valued as much. Which is why in some countries that have had "free" university longer than Germany has, fewer people now get degrees.

Azrael likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He committed suicide by Legionaries. HE was his own father who predestined his own termination of human form. HE died for your accumulated debts.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The state of Rhode Island probably would like its money back, too, Curt.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The student loan issue is just a distraction from the fact that one of the two major political parties is run by a psycho, racist insurrection who doubles as a giant national security threat in his spare time.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Say what now?

After game industry failure, Curt Schilling agrees to pay back Rhode Island

The long, winding saga of baseball star Curt Schilling's massive business failure in the video game industry may finally be reaching its end. As The Associated Press reports, Schilling and other former executives at 38 Studios have agreed to pay $2.5 million to the state of Rhode Island to settle outstanding claims of defrauding the state out of $75 million in loans.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sez the imbecile who pissed away millions in state money on a busted video game company.

Check that: Caught on the warning track by Gee.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And yet the Catholic Church says suicide is a sin. Hmmm. Really what is the difference between ending your life early to save yourself and your family hardship vs. dying for the sins of others? Aren't they both kind of selfless acts?

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The schools which my HS senior to be is looking at all have massive endowments — her top 2 choices have enrollment of about 2,000, endowments of over $1 billion and costs of around $75k per year. The higher education system is in many ways a scam. I treaded water for 5 years based on my law school loans (lucky enough to go to a semi-state funded undergrad and had scholarships) until I moved into a better paying job. I can’t imagine how most grads are able to do it.

OscarMadison, wicked and maumann like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is awesome.

TowelWaver, heyabbott, garrow and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted