1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Those folks aren't getting off the hook. They're getting $10k — if they make under $125k. For someone who chooses to borrow six figures, it's a tiny bit of relief.

UNCGrad and Smallpotatoes like this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I marvel at how little the well-off in this country grasp that a great many people they consider beneath them are so far removed from the American dream that they won’t care if the entire economic system collapses and the mobs start taking what they want from the leisure classes by force.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was not an act of principle. The reason this one was fulfilled now (and they pushed the forebearance again until January) was that a midterm election is coming up and his party isn't looking too good in the polls. He's making a desperate play to try to buy the votes of people who are among the most likely to actually come out and vote. I'm the worst person to handicap how much it helps or hurts his party, because I often get that kind of calculus wrong. But given that there are way more potential voters who aren't going to benefit and may feel resentment, I am wondering if it is going to backfire on him.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was an act of principle, I said it was an act of raw political necessity.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Oh is that all?

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

I'm not sure how you value money. But for most people who earn $125K a year or less, $10K back into their pockets is not insignificant. Even if it doesn't payoff the entirety of a massive loan they are paying back. I am not sure why you are making this a binary thing, like it's an all or nothing discussion.

Just mailing free $1,000 checks a couple of times to a broad swath of people during the pandemic juiced aggregate demand so much, that it was a major contributor to the run away inflation we are now dealing with. Look at what just a few thousand dollars in the hands of a lot of people did for the earnings of Home Depot and Lowe's during the pandemic, or how much some meme stocks got bid up because of people suddenly finding some found money in their pockets.

The tiny bit of relief you are talking about isn't paying off the entirety of some people's loans, but $10K is not insignificant to most people.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

0DAEA9D8-956B-4A7E-87D8-7396E3D66F4F.gif

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

37.9 percent of American adults age 25 or over have graduated from college. Add to that the number now in college, about 20 million, or maybe 6 percent, and those who attended but didn't graduate, and you have far far more than a tiny slice of the public.

10. The Big Ragu

During his campaign he was in full Santa Claus mode. Many of his promises haven't been fulfilled, whether it was going to be free college or free child care or universal preschool or paid family and medical leave for 12 weeks.

Those things haven't gotten done because he can't just sign a piece of paper and try to credibly do it via executive decree. But none of the bullshit he was saying to pander for votes during his campaign suddenly became raw political necessity today. People are inured to politicians like Joe Biden promising free everything to them.

The raw political necessity was that the midterm election is coming up and his party isn't looking good at the moment.

And he thought he could credibly bypass the legislative process on this one and give a financial benefit to about 40 or 50 million potential voters who are among the most likely to actually show up to vote in a midterm election.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

GOP voters?

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

To be honest, Ragu, I think this is your real objection to this. I really don't believe you spend your days worrying that the American tax system isn't progessive enough.

But hey, if you think that Biden should plow this money into Pell Grants instead, sure. Why not.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted