1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Foreign hotel toilets are the very best toilets.

wicked likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

They feature bidets, or as my old boss called them: “A water fountain for your ass.”

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Josh Marshall. Been around for a long time. Princeton grad, Brown Ph.d. Spent several years as a staff writer with the American Prospect in the late 90s (an ex-girlfriend of mine worked with him there and lived downstairs from him -- I met him a few times). Then he started Talking Points Memo in the early 2000s, which became one of the most respected political blogs out there. He's also contributed to the New Yorker, Salon (when it mattered) and the Atlantic among others. He's very respected.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I already know his opinion of Marbury v. Madison.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

That's true. It's also true that a lot of kids who are perfectly qualified do get rejected from competitive schools where a lot of people want to go and it was kind of gross that she assumed that it was less-qualified black and Latino kids who kept her out as opposed to, say, kids of donors or kids with more alumni in their family or kids with comparable grades but more tough courses or just the sheer volume of kids a lot like her where it's hard to stand out in a crowded field and she slipped through the cracks like lots of kids. And even the "affirmative action" admits, let's assume for the sake of argument that they did have lower SAT scores or less impressive extracurriculars (and that's just for the sake of argument -- it's not to concede that's even the case). They also may have had more impressive credentials in context (ie. maybe they didn't have the resources for an expensive SAT prep course or tutor and she did. How many points did that gain her? Maybe they had to help support the family or serve as primary caretaker for a younger sibling or worked a lot of hours at a job and didn't have the time/money to go on a "service mission" to Haiti to take white savior selfies with the natives. Or maybe they accomplished what they did in an inner-city school with fewer resources and bigger classes and overwhelmed teachers and guidance counselors who didn't know their names. This stuff gets complex). I'm not taking a stand on the merits of her case (though I was always a bit skeptical) and I'm not doubting that in a vacuum she would have been qualified for admission. But there's a lot to it and it's often quite the crapshoot. And I say that as a fairly affluent (but not wealthy) 52-year-old white dude with a son about to start his senior year who has very good grades, two varsity sports, leadership activities and a part-time job but who I also know is not going to stand out in the crowd and I'm prepared for the fact that he may not get into his first choice and I know he'll be fine. Abby Fisher would have been fine too. In fact, I'm sure she was. And I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for her if she was going after legacy preferences alongside whatever objections she may have had to affirmative action programs.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The closer he gets to the end of his term, the Trumpier he gets.
    I don't know who's more out of touch with reality: Larry Hogan, Mike Pence or Nebraska football fans.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted