1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that’s a PhotoShop - based on her hand being cut off and not wrapping around the sign.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But it does look real nice.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Bobo is so dumb, is so bad at this. She doesn't even care about making an ass of herself.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Scott Walker, Sarah Palin, the list goes on...

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"Ignore what I said then. It's only what I say now that matters!"

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Preston Brooks (D-Ga) 1853-1857

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I can and do respect all the things you've written, but I do want to quibble a bit (you know me).

It almost certainly wasn't "legacies" who took her spot. You'd probably be astounded at how little influence that plays at competitive state universities. I'm speaking obliquely here so as to not speak out of turn, but a friend is a big-time gifts officer at a "public Ivy," and my friend's particular unit is given at most three admission slots to hand out a year. The norm is one and that's for the "major gifts" (i.e., > $100,000) function.

And as gross as Fisher's implied argument was, I find as gross the acted-on principle that "they're all alike" (white, black, Hispanic, etc.). I've seen this play out in faculty hiring committees in which are imposed very, very detailed rubrics dictating which racial/national categories would make our faculty more "diverse" and which wouldn't. And it's all a crock of shit.

Still, I was primarily responding to the cracks re: Fisher's academic/admissions profile. When her case went down I saw a lot of similar stuff bouncing around out there, and it was completely off the mark.

P.S. Best of luck to your son (and you).

Draft saved Draft deleted