1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are you just assuming they are lying about how the admission works and it really is just driven by a quota? I don't mean that to be a challenge. I'm genuinely asking.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

People come at this from different perspectives. For people in my mother’s and her brothers’ generation, the SATs were an invaluable tool to fight discrimination. With an objective standard to judge people by, my uncles could get into highly competitive and Ivy League schools for which there was always a quota on Jews. Their graduation from deWitt Clinton HS couldn’t be discounted against the prep schools of NY and Nee England when their SAT scores beat those from Philips Exeter Academy. My father could go to a Wisconsin and his brother could go to USC, my father in law could go to Johns Hopkins. All because of an objective standard. And all were sons of foreign born fathers. My mother, who may have been the smartest of them all, went to Hunter College because that’s what women in the 1950s did. So my family comes at this issue of having had quotas used against them for admission to undergrad and law and medical schools, to Wall Street and corporate training programs. SATs were culturally biased against Bronx, Brooklyn and East Baltimore Jews, yet despite that it was their way out. Standardized objective grading meant a level playing field. That’s all they could hope for. We see that today with Asian immigrants both near East, India, Pakistan,Iranian immigrants and Far East, Japanese, Korean and Chinese among others. Despite the alleged culturally biased SATs, these groups, for whom English is not the primary language of the home, these students have succeeded. And again the SAT is a constant objective measure to equalize unequal educational Opportunities. It makes public school student competitive against the prep schools. It makes the students who attend small schools in poor areas competitive against the grade inflation of the wealthy suburbs.

My wife did live in house that had a restrictive covenant against Jews and blacks. A refrain That was recited annually at Passover.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just met a guy who moved to Northern Vermont (Chittenden) from Austin whose sister went to Rice, which is favored by 33.5 against USC.

Think I'll take Rice to lay 'em and cover. Not sure what the Longhorns'll do in Week 1.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

MAGA Mike thinks presidents should have unlimited power (except to cancel federal student loan debt). MAGA Mike also thinks stealing top secret documents and fomenting anti-democracy insurrections are permissible in certain circumstances. And, depending on the person in question, former presidents should never be prosecuted for ANY crimes they commit, ever. Depending on the person, MAGA Mike always stresses this point.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So your kids’ school suddenly had the demos change because the STEM academy got administratively placed there because it was physically there? I’m no lawyer, but is there an equal protection issue in play here? In other words, if the STEM academy had its own building, would it have been a separate entity in the eyes of the 7% policy?

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Seems awkward.

Inky_Wretch and garrow like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

They're tired of red bull

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Dahlia Lithwick is the second to last person I would read for legal analysis.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I sometimes hate listen to the local conservatalk show, and one of the callers was saying exactly that: That TFG had complete authority to declassify whatever he wanted. At least the host did push back a bit. Broken clock is right twice a day and all that.

garrow likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted