1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And he was out of position, as usual.

dixiehack, Hermes and MTM like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I appreciate your perspective and fandom. I wish I lived closer. I'd be there, too.
    The one benefit of the difficult schedule is that much of its difficulty derives from the large number of games remaining against the team they need to catch, the Blue Jays. Mariners will coast to the top WC spot by virtue of a benign schedule.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Other factors in the future will be provisions incentivizing promotion of top prospects and schedule changes. The merciful end of the current format, in which teams play nearly half their games against four opponents, will also be a big benefit.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

100 percent agree on the Mariners. The Jays are the target now, for sure. I’m just thrilled to have meaningful baseball in the year’s ninth month again.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Bonus points to @Cosmo for correctly using PPS instead of ... shudder ... PSS.

Cosmo likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Mariners were 29-39 on June 20, and have a .693 winning percentage since then.
    For comparison, the Yankees had a .695 winning percentage at the all-star break when people were talking them up as possibly one of the best teams ever, and the Dodgers are currently at .697 for the season.

On a totally unrelated note, the Mariners are still around +3000 (30-1) to win the World Series and +1200 to win the American League. Might be worth throwing down $10 on them this weekend and riding it out. They're starting to feel a little like the 2019 Nationals in their season arc.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles on a similar trajectory. They were 10 under .500 in early June. Now we’ve got Gunnar and fucking Bradish is dealing and I can’t wait for Monday-Tuesday at Camden Yards.

Batman likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I also think many are forgetting that they have performed this turnaround without the guy who was supposed to top the rotation -- John Means.

Kremer's been as effective as Means ever has. So has Voth since his arrival.

I just fear that their 3-4-5 starters are going to eventually cost them.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Great point on Means. The pitching has been way way way better than expected. This is so much fun.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles win series in Houston and Cleveland, couple of division leaders. Don’t fuck with Oakland, get two. Monday is gonna be fun.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Of course he was out of position. Because he was on the field in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted