1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Also this week, our local high school team is playing at a powerhouse that is six hours away. The team left this morning at 7 for the 7:30 p.m. game. I'm just 100 percent thankful that the band isn't making the trip.

Sincerely, parent of two band kids.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Especially since they'll get back at oh-dark-30. And unless it's a charter bus, I'd be really concerned about the drivers.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Not only because I worked in Marquette but I always rooted for the UP teams in the state finals
    With rare exceptions they always got the 10 am game, and the kids and parents would come down Friday and make a weekend of it

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

While the game involving my hometown team was in a three-hour lightning delay, I picked some other games sort of at random on YouTube to watch.

And I saw...
    * The last 15 seconds of a game involving Greenwood, Ark. and Fort Smith Northside. Northside was up 53-50 after Greenwood had just scored. Greenwood recovered the onside kick. Somehow, even though the clock didn't run on the kick, it was reset to 16 seconds. The Greenwood QB ran out of bounds just shy of the first down on the first play, then hit a receiver in the end zone for the Hail Mary that won it for Greenwood 56-53. I just looked up the box score on MaxPreps and Northside led 27-7 after one and 53-35 with about four minutes to go.
    * Most of the fourth quarter of a game between two teams in Washington that was 0-0 until 5 1/2 minutes remained in the game. Most of what I saw was the home team able to get inside the 10-yard line but failing to score (at least twice) and I guess they didn't have a kicker. The visitor would take over, stall around the 30 and punt. The only score came from busted coverage on a long pass. Two penalties on the 2-point try and then they fumbled the snap. 6-0 visitors held up as the final.
    * Once my game resumed, I still had a game from California up on my laptop. They kicked off at 9 p.m., during the delay, and finished before my game did even with an overtime period.
    * The game involving my hometown team ended at 10 minutes after midnight (#kshsaaafterdark). The local juco is playing on the field this morning at 11 a.m.

franticscribe, Batman and MileHigh like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

24-14 tonight in a rivalry game.

With a 2 1/2 hour lightning delay.

Schools couldn't decide whether to wait it out or come back at 11 a.m.

Put in a hard time of 10:30 p.m. Got the all-clear.

Resumed at 10:45 p.m.

Walked off the field at midnight.

Left my place at 4:45 p.m. Home at 12:45 a.m. Works out to $9.34 an hour.

tea and ease and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And probably spent more on travel and food than you made. But games are just exhibitions without referees and umpires. Many thanks to those people who volunteer their time and energy to enforce the rules.

HanSenSE, FileNotFound and MileHigh like this.
  7. MileHigh

Definitely a money-loss situation. It's my hobby and diversion from other things going on.

I was at this place last night with schools 3 miles apart. It was PACKED (5,000-ish) before the lightning. And even after, kids were running back in happy to be playing again and doing their chants. Loved it, even with a midnight finish.

When it doesn't become fun, I'll stop doing it. But it's still fun.

littleton.jpg

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

It's six-man, but cripes.

granada.PNG

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Nobody broke 100 in Texas six-man this week, but one team scored 88 points in the first half. That's hard to physically do.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Now go back to 2007 when Smith Center (KS) scored 72 against Plainville (KS) in the first quarter.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

An outfit in Mississippi is starting a Friday night RedZone channel for high school football using livestreams of various games from around the state. It premieres this week.
    They have about 20 schools signed up so far (there are about 300 total in Mississippi), and they're hoping to add more next year after they get their feet under them. Apparently a lot of schools are signed up with the NFHS Network and those contracts are a little more complicated to work through than the handshake deal they were able to agree on with the schools who run their own streams.
    I don't think this would work in every state, but I really think it can here.
    Incredible to think that this would have been technologically impossible to pull off even 10 years or so ago.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted