1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The current named storms don’t trouble me much. This one does.

[​IMG]

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Another graphic I have on Hurricane Tracker has the 5-day has the cone of it already swerving well into the middle of the Atlantic, and I'm OK with that. There is another system building still on shore in Africa, and the potential track is more southerly.
    I was at a big Labor Day cookout on Saturday, and hurricane season was the topic of the day.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Frankly, it's been about as quiet as it has been in many years.

When I lived in South Florida, watching U.S. Open tennis on CBS meant watching a small picture-in-picture graphic of the latest system the local affiliate added throughout most of the tournament.

4. Driftwood

Yeah, when I pointed out the fact that we are in September, and October 1 has been sort of a safe haven day from major hurricanes, everyone told me to hush and not jinx it.

maumann, PaperDoll and lakefront like this.
  5. BTExpress

I always considered Oct. 1 to be relief day . . . until Wilma's eye winked at me on Oct. 24.

That was the year the government did me a huge favor. Because there were so many storms that year, the IRS made casualty losses 100% deductible (instead of plugging in the numbers on their worksheet and finding out you'll get pennies on the dollar if anything).

I had already filed when I found out about it. Sent in a 1040X the next day. Fortunately the damage wasn't that much, as the home was built four years after Andrew.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    maumann and Driftwood like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oct. 1 may be relief from Cape Verde season. It is not from the spin-up storms in the Gulf.

maumann likes this.
  7. Driftwood

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know that's generally not how Pacific storms move, but it'd probably be good if Kay could hug the coast a bit more. California's fire season is sparking up.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I just don't know what'll pop up. There hasn't been much of anything to churn up the Gulf this year and that bathwater is ripe. That's where I expect something to develop next because the open Atlantic is dead.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's weird how Pacific storms don't typically recurve onshore into Cali. It occasionally happens but it's rare. The cold water will kill off most storms but there still should be remnants to provide rainfall.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Good morning!

12. BTExpress

You can tell the season is a snoozer when we start trumpeting tropical depressions. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted