1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't say iconic. Something about Joe Flacco being in a Jets jersey what seems like 25 years after winning the Super Bowl.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay.

Flacco sucks.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm smelling something around 7-10; Goff plays just not-horrible enough to muddy up the QB search process going forward.

maumann and LanceyHoward like this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

As a Dallas fan I’m expecting a typical Greek tragedy played out on National TV. It usually involves some stupid errors early followed by frantically chasing the game and coming up one possession short. Lots of urgency caused by self inflicted wounds.

My only hope is that Micah Parsons does some bad, bad things.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is he an elite back-up QB? Honestly, that middle-tier of QBs who aren't great, but who make teams hesitate to dump given the QB market and coin-flip chance that they'll land someone better should be called the Flacco level.

"He's not elite - he's Flacco!" (Tannehill, Goff, Winston, etc.) just good enough to keep you out of position to draft their successor. Shoot, the Ravens picked jackson at 32!

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Nick Chubb is that guy at the bar who doesn’t say anything for four hours, but when he does it’s the funniest thing you’ve heard all night.

DanielSimpsonDay and sgreenwell like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Having watched Hard Knocks, I wish the Lions well. But having a hard time seeing many stars outside Hutchinson.

maumann likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Fuck, that is absolutely savage. I love it.

re: Brady, well, Father Time is undefeated. If he keeps playing, at some point, he's going to lose It. He's already kind of slid from the All-Pro tier, to fringe Pro Bowl / guy who won't lose it for you. That was fine when the Bucs had elite offensive talent at multiple positions, but probably more of an issue this year with the guys they've slowly shed on offense. Unless something goes REALLY bad, the Bucs should be able to get past the Winston-led Saints, and the question marks in Atlanta and Carolina. I wouldn't really be bullish on their playoff chances, though. (Blaine Gabbert is their back-up, by the way, so might as well pencil in an L for any game that Brady doesn't make.)

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I like Swift and St. Brown a lot. Maybe that Rodrigo kid at LB will be a stud.

playthrough likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't disagree, though Hard Knocks makes a lot of guys look like they're a half-step from stardom.

Having Arizona for this year's in-season team could be fun if things implode.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was second in the MVP vote last year. He led the league in passing yards and touchdown passes. That ain't fringe anything.

da man likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Me neither (though it helped that you said so first instead of me). If the line is better, CMC stays healthy and Baker is competent, doesn't turn the ball over consistently or find a way to chafe too many people, the Panthers could challenge. IMO, the defense is already there ... the breakdowns last year were more because they can't play like that for 40-42 minutes every game. TOP, IMO, tends to be an overlooked statistic for teams with good to great defenses.

Not as certain about the Saints, but Dennis Allen won't let the defense flush the toilet. Not sure about an offense that has lost Drew Brees and Sean Payton in consecutive seasons, but enough Alvin Kamara and a little more depth at wideout will go a long way.

Draft saved Draft deleted