1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed from going to the Orioles-Jays doubleheader on Monday was that Toronto was shifting on basically every at-bat. It was insane. I don't really notice the subtle shifts on TV, but sitting up in section 31 behind home plate, it was fascinating to see the level of detail that went into they way they played each batter.

maumann likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What the hell, football teams change formations every play. It's actually fun for fans to argue about.

3. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

I don't see how getting rid of the shift helps. It eliminates the always popular ground-out to medium-deep righ field but will further encourage the home run-or-bust offensive strategy that is currently turning games into snoozefests. Keep the shift, and guys, especially left-handed hitters, will start bunting or looking to hit backside because an oppo single is still more valuable than a groundout to right. Do that enough and defenses will have to shift back.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just want a grounder right up the middle to be a single again. It still messes with my brain when it turns into a 6-3.

Della9250, Spartan Squad and Batman like this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think MLB has the patience for that to happen. Teams have been relying heavily on the shift for a while, and so far, we don't really see very many hitters making that adjustment. They figure the shift won't matter if they put the ball over the fence.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't really care about the shift, but damn I hate the idea of a clock in baseball.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to think it will be used like golf, mainly a device to help the players adjust to playing at a faster pace. I've attended more than a few games that are going along well, then the pace just falls off and it seems to be contagious.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are so many pitchers today whose pace slows to bomb-disposal speed when men get on base. The clock may, repeat may, help with that. The no-shift rule is just more stupidity akin to the baserunner on second extra inning rule. It's amazing how much the people who run MLB hate their own game.

maumann likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The way to end those shifts is for guys to slap the ball into the Gulf of Mexico hole they leave when they have 7 fielders standing next to first or third base.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tennis has a serve clock, and you never notice how much Rafael Nadal abuses it.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

At least Nadal entertains you with all the nervous touching, while you wait for him to toss the ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted